starter switch wiring.

cmj650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I picked up a 1980 xs650sg with a hacked harness. The wires for the on/off switch have been cut off right at the switch. The harness has been opened up on the left side of the bike below the seat to expose a few red and brown wires. The owner was twisting these wires together and shorting the solenoid to to start the bike. The bike has a title, it is not stolen. I'm going to get a new switch, but a can't see where it would plug into the harness. Should there be a plug in the headlight assembly?

Thanks.

Welcome

By on/off, I guess you mean the Kill switch. Yes, the Kill switch is wired through a connector in the headlight bucket. The connector has 2 red/white wires and 1 blue/white wire. The power comes from the ignition fuse on 1 red/white, through the kill switch, and then goes on the 2nd red/white to the ign coil and TCI.

At top of this page:
click on Tech
click on Electrical
click on Wiring Diagrams
go down to post #7, and you will find a wiring diagram for 1981 H/SH. The 81 wiring is almost identical to the 1980.

Haynes manual also has excellent wiring diagrams ( with a few errors)

Thanks for your help, I will check inside the headlight again. I did look at the wiring diagram, it is helpful for tracing wires, but not really helpful when it comes to locating where the plugs and connectors are located on the bike.

The manual is on my list too.

Back