Starter Turns Sounds Like Not Engaging

geedubya

geedubya
Top Contributor
Reaction score
When I hit the starter button I just get a whirring sound.

So removed starter, all good.

Removed starter gears on LH side, all good.

Except in the picture the gear at 11 o'clock which I assume is on the crankshaft rotates freely.
SDC13729.JPG

You'll have to pull the right side cover off to investigate. That gear you discovered that spins easily shouldn't. There should be a small gear on the other end of that shaft that engages and spins all the other starter engagement gears. That small gear on the other end of the shaft is just held in place by a small plate and screw. Maybe that came loose and the little gear has fallen off.

zNi62ZF.jpg

Last edited:
....or you may have a problem with the dreaded #4 starter gear :yikes: which lives behind the clutch basket assembly.

For some ideas on fixing that - check out post #257 or so in my Special to Cafe build thread:

http://www.xs650.com/threads/build-thread-special-to-cafe-bike.48165/page-13

It may look a bit daunting - but it really isn't a big deal. The key thing is to measure the spring clip / hairpin pull force (see the photos in the thread).

Pete

See if you blokes can spot the obvious here!!!
SDC13734.JPG

This is what I found when I took out the clutch basket.

Some knob of a PO must have had a problem and took the easy way out instead of
You
Always
Have
Other
Options

You'll have to pull the right side cover off to investigate. That gear you discovered that spins easily shouldn't. There should be a small gear on the other end of that shaft that engages and spins all the other starter engagement gears. That small gear on the other end of the shaft is just held in place by a small plate and screw. Maybe that came loose and the little gear has fallen off.

zNi62ZF.jpg
G'day 5T,

I cannot find in the parts manual any reference to what you have outlined.

I need the larger gear and the spring clip as it is missing (refer #5).

Can you please assist.

GW

Yup - your P/O has removed the key pieces including the #4 starter gear but also the components on which it mounts. You’ll need those too GW - what a PITA.

Last edited:
I just had a gander at the eBay advert and I'd buy it - BUT - it appears to be missing the circlip and mating cup that holds on the two semi-circular retainers (these ARE present in the eBay set) and there is also little flat strappy-looking bracket that the would be secured by the screw shown in the advert.

That circlip / snap ring (part #9 in the exploded view shown below) is almost certainly a standard part that any good machine-shop or automotive supply house would have (Partzilla's cost is $0.62 USD) and the little flat strap (part #13) - would be easy to fabricate. The little cup (part #8 below) that goes under the circlip - could also be made.

In the image below (from Partzilla - which is the new version of boats.net) I am referring to parts:
  • 8 - Holder Clip - p/n 306-15563-00-00
  • 9 - Circlip - p/n 99009-17400-0 ....and,
  • 13 - Plate, Stopper - p/n 447-15513-00-00
159b32400724994eaf3a81e54346e1b1c1aa8617.png

Anybody got a photo of the complete assembly on a bike?

Pete

Last edited:
I just had a gander at the eBay advert and I'd buy it - BUT - it appears to be missing the circlip and mating cup that holds on the two semi-circular retainers (these ARE present in the eBay set) and there is also little flat strappy-looking bracket that the would be secured by the screw shown in the advert.

That circlip / snap ring (part #9 in the exploded view shown below) is almost certainly a standard part that any good machine-shop or automotive supply house would have (Partzilla's cost is $0.62 USD) and the little flat strap (part #13) - would be easy to fabricate. The little cup (part #8 below) that goes under the circlip - could also be made.

In the image below (from Partzilla - which is the new version of boats.net) I am referring to parts:

Pete

I have #13 & 14 in place.

GW

OK - so its just the circlip (cheap and should be easy to find) and that little cup.

It is just a little dished "washer" that is deep enough to contain those two semi-circular pieces (the two parts #7) and is held on by the circlip itself. I'd guess that somebody will have one sitting around - or you could turn one on a lathe chop-chop.

It is a very simple little part IMO.

Pete

G'day Everyone,

Have not given up on this.

Waiting for F**KING Australia Post to deliver the parts coming from the USA.

They arrived in Oz late 05 Sep, left Brizvegas on their journey 10000 kilometers (800 miles) north and still have not been delivered.

USPS lived up to their side of the bargain very promptly but, alas good old Australia Ghost lets me down again.

Sad really as I used to be a postman.

Pete

G'day,

I cannot work out exactly what part # 6 & 7 actually do apart from being a spacer.

Why the split ring??

I could not get these parts on the shaft as a set so, I machined a S/S washer to the same thickness and same ID, OD not important.

Then as I was attempting to install the circlip........zing off it went off the pliers into the never never. A trip to the hardware tomorrow.

Life just loves throwing curve balls at you.

Back