Starting from scratch 1981 xs650

I rarely change out banjo bolts, only if they're all rusty, and then it's usually with another old original that's in better shape. The crush washers are to seal the line fitting to the MC or caliper and you want/need two per fitting, one on each side of it. You don't double them up on one side. The assembly sequence should be banjo bolt, crush washer, line fitting, crush washer.

If your brake piston is sealing OK (not leaking) then it probably wasn't too rusty. Rust on some parts of the piston doesn't matter. The only important part is the area that moves through the seal. It needs to be in good shape to seal. If you do eventually want to replace the piston, I recommend getting a stainless one. They cost a few dollars more but will never rust.

Update:

I installed Hagon shocks bought used on Ebay to replace the OEM shocks that were making things uncomfortable. Worked out well. Thanks for all the tips guys. I figured out what the the metric hardware I needed was and got it done. Nice change.

My (oem ?) sealed beam headlight burnt out. As per your advice, I got a plug and play sylvania halogen for $11 at Walmart. Thanks again.

I got my class M drivers license. That was interesting. I took a level 2 class for riders who rode but didn't has an endorsement . It was a one long day day class at a local community college here in Maryland. Halfway between Washington DC and Baltimore. I waAs the oldest, but probably the only one with a healthy BMI.
3 riders went down, including the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Instructor practicing the low speed riding maneuvers.
We rode Suzuki 250's. They were to small for my feet- 13D. This was a long day.

One guy was there because got caught riding without a M permit when he rode to Ocean City, MD during Bike week. He had been riding for a long time.

HOW THE STATE GOT HIM-

The state used a camera to recorded all tag numbers entering the city.

tag numbers were computer matched with the Maryland State motor vehicle master file.

if you didn't have a M endorsement, they came and found you and had to find another way home.

he also got a heavy ticket.

The state used a camera to recorded all tag numbers entering the city.

tag numbers were computer matched with the Maryland State motor vehicle master file.

if you didn't have a M endorsement, they came and found you and had to find another way home.

he also got a heavy ticket.
Mighty heavy handed.
Good for you going through the msf course!

Yeah he should be ashamed of himself. He also got 2 points.
Everyone else had never broke the law. Only a bunch of real experienced off road mini bike and dirt bike riders, (that had purchased street bikes like Road Kings, Triumph Speed Twins and Gold Wings in anticipation of completing this course).

Next week I am taking the level 2 cancelled carry firearm course. The prequisite is you must be experienced in firearm carry and use. No beginners. Just folks that walk around strapped without a permit ? wink wink

I want to take the opportunity to thank everyone for all their help. My 81' project has been a great success and will continue to be.
Without a doubt, 2021 was a awesome year for me. I turn 65 in March. I realized dreams I had since I was a kid and wanted a RUPP mini bike.,
Grew up watching grandpa, son a farmer. He was a machinist.
This is my journey....
Got my drivers license it the mid-seventies. I LOVED THE XS650 AND WANTED ONE IN THE SEVENTIES. MOM SAID NO,
YOU ARE GOING TO COLLEGE. SAVE YOUR $.

then got married and had kids etc..
worked as a white collar office guy mostly.

I've been a bass serious bass guy since 1981.

In order to fish, you need a boat and a trailer and a vehicle.
If your boat is broke you can't go fishing
In the 90's Took the boat to a mechanic when a cable broke. They lied about how long it would take to fix it.
They installed a cable. Cable broke first trip out. RE-installed it myself.
Never been to a marina since.
If you fish, you need a trailer with wheels to tow your boat.
Had an axle fail one day on a fishing trip... Learned to pack bearings.
Trolling motor failed, Installed a new one.
Starter broke, replaced it.
Boat motor caught on fire.
Bought a used wiring harness on EBAY
Fixed outboard,,,,
Fixed lawn mower, mini bike, truck blower motor, replaced ice maker, vacuum cleaner. built tool shed,
replaced trailer axle and troubleshooted trailer lights....

Then I realized, if I can repair my Mercury outboards and Calcutta baitcastings reel using parts lists and schematics I found free on the internet
I can fix almost anything,

So Last February on whim emailed a guy who was trying to get rid of the bike on OFFERUP.
Got it up and running and shiny
learned how to use a multimeter

Things started slowly, Bike didn't charge. Then I bought a battery, bought a wiring harness,
and new used rotor, replaced brushes, replaced spark plugs, bought new left hand controls.
Found nice used OEM Yamaha mirrors on ebay no that no one else bid on - $11 plus shipping.
Rewired bike, rebuilt front disc system, tightened chain adjusted cam follower or whatever, adjusted valves per instructions.
Made my own regulator and rectifier per instructions.. Changed fork oil .
Changed out handle bars. 2 new clutch cables-one two long and cheap, the other one as recommended by this community.
Installed new clutch push rod seal and screw. New master cylinder.
Bought a torque wrench, used it.
Got a cheap harbor freight type motorcycle jack.

Got motorcycle insurance
registered title and got plates
took motorcycle safety course
Got my motorcycle license
Went for a motorcycle ride on almost every day I could.
I am happy and proud.

Worked on the motorcycle and John Deere lawn tractor. Took some time off from fishing.
I live near Washington D,C, the Potomac River is a sewer pit.

Thank you 5TWINs, Jim, GGgary, Travis, Mailman and everyone else.
Happy New Year.

The same model I wanted 40 years ago. getting my class M license, and
I want to take the opportunity to thank everyone for all their help. My 81' project has been a great success and will continue to be.
The progress I made in 2021,

Anyone know of a tiny fuse box for blade fuses ? I changed the fuses to blades and I have a mess of dangling inline fuses on top of the battery. Maybe I should move things down to where the reserve lighting relay is... And get rid of it. What do think guys ?

Pulled the carbs, cleaned them and put them back on. Not to bad since I looked at the diagrams and watched videos quite a bit.
The jets were 137.5. and the mixture screws are set at 3.5 out.

5twins thanks for the advice concerning VW spark plug wires and Honda MP08 coil. While I had the tank off I changed the plugs, leads, and coil.
Wires are VW NGK ($16 open box special on Amazon color is blue) Coil is ebay $20. It said it was compatible with old hondas so I took a chance.
Coil bolted in to OEM spot. Plugs are AC-63 platinum ($4 each). Thanks for the advice members.

Even if you don't place a fuse box there, I recommend you eliminate the RLU, it's just a problem waiting to happen. Details are here .....

http://www.excess650.co.uk/tips & tricks.htm

When I add a jumper wire to a plug, I like to wrap it around the back side and feed it through some of the wires exiting the plug. This effectively holds it in place .....

RLUJumper3.jpg

RLUJumper2.jpg

Back