1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Starting w/ pamco h/o ignition +e-advancer /pma

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Kimura97, Nov 4, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Kimura97

Kimura97 XS650 Enthusiast

Few days ago I was riding my bike home and it sort of puttered out and died. Tried several times to kick it over and nothing. Gas is new and clean, I smelt a lot of gas after kicking it so I gave it a full day to make sure it was not flooded. Came back no gas smell tried kicking but no luck. The rear tail light lights up when I kick it. Disconnected that tried again nothing. Plugs looked good. The pamco and pma was installed earlier this year. Rode the bike plenty of miles no issues. I'm thinking its spark but can't pin point it. Also the ground on the capacitor came off and was running bad until I figured it was off, connected it, no issues until it stopped running. I'm in the army and don't have much money or room to work on the bike so taking it to the only shop here for 75hr won't work. Just need some advice

2. pamcopete

pamcopete Ride.Enjoy.Life is Simple

Kim...,

Disconnect the regulator and temporarily connect the PAMCO and coil to a fully charged battery.

3. Kimura97

It's a kick only by the way

4. pamcopete

OK. What does that have to do with my suggestion?

5. Kimura97

No clue, I'm not very mechanically inclined. Sorry man

6. solo2racr

solo2racr Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow

Kimura97, what Pete is wanting is to exercise the process of elimination. By adding a battery to the Pamco and coil, it will determine a couple things. It will show that either the Pamco is bad or the PMA is bad.

7. Kimura97

Yeah I'm following that, I just done know where to hook it up at

8. Hook + to the coil would be a good place and ground to the motor.

9. solo2racr

solo2racr Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow

OK....the capacitor is taking the place of the battery. That should tell you where to hook it up.

10. pamcopete

Kim...,

OK. I got your PM. We are trying to isolate the PMA from the PAMCO so we can determine which is causing the problem. To do this:

1. Disconnect the regulator for the PM. This should be either a plug for the regulator or if individual wires, then disconnect the red wire from the regulator. (Note: Wire may be a different color. It's the wire that comes from the regulator to the battery or capacitor or to the fuse box)
    2. The coil has two terminals. The green wire from the PAMCO goes to one of the terminals. Leave that wire in place.
    3. Disconnect all wires from the other terminal on the coil.
    4. Connect a wire from the battery positive terminal to the coil terminal in step #3. Leave the battery negative terminal disconnected at this time.
    5. Disconnect the red wire to the PAMCO from whatever it is connected to, fuse, switch other wire etc.
    6. Connect the red wire from the PAMCO in step #5 to the positive terminal on the battery.
    7. When you are ready to attempt starting the engine, ground the negative battery terminal to the frame of the motorcycle.
    8. Try starting the engine.
    9. If the engine starts, then check for the problem you had.
    10. If the engine does not start, disconnect the negative battery terminal from the frame.
    11. If the engine starts, then disconnect the negative battery terminal from the frame after you have completed your trouble shooting.
    12. Do not let the engine overheat if it starts. Place a large fan in front of the engine.

Please continue this thread here rather than a PM as others may be able to assist as well.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  11. Kimura97

Ok thanks Pete I'm going to try this after work today if the rain lets up.

12. pamcopete

Kim...,

OK. Just so you understand the process. If your PAMCO is faulty it will be replaced under warranty for no charge. But if your PMA is the problem, then there is no point in replacing the PAMCO. That's why we are going through this testing process. There is plenty of help here to get you back on the road.

13. Kimura97

Ok tried it with no luck. From my end the only thing that should be getting power is the pamco and the coil. Have the ground on the one of the engine mounts.

14. pamcopete

OK. PM me for warranty instructions.

15. Kimura97

Hooked everything up, kicked it over. Nothing. Spayed a little carb cleaner in it, it almost started then backfired. Expected. Just won't start at all.

16. Kimura97

17. figure8

figure8 XS650 Guru

You might wanna shop around, that kit doesn't include intakes and you're gonna need them. A full kit can be had cheaper. At a second glance, it doesn't include air filters either.

Take a look here....
    http://www.hoosracing.com/carbsfilterscables.html

18. Kimura97

Thanks I will shop around.

19. pamcopete

I assume you received the replacement PAMCO. Did you try, as suggested, wiring the PAMCO and coil temporarily to a stand alone battery?

20. Kimura97

yeah i did exactly as you stated. i only installed the parts for the left side of the pamco where the sensor is. it actually fired this time but wouldnt run, i sprayed a little carb cleaner in it so i know its firing. dont know if its a carb problem now. so im replacing them. got some mikunis on the way should be here this week.