Starting w/ pamco h/o ignition +e-advancer /pma

Kimura97

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Few days ago I was riding my bike home and it sort of puttered out and died. Tried several times to kick it over and nothing. Gas is new and clean, I smelt a lot of gas after kicking it so I gave it a full day to make sure it was not flooded. Came back no gas smell tried kicking but no luck. The rear tail light lights up when I kick it. Disconnected that tried again nothing. Plugs looked good. The pamco and pma was installed earlier this year. Rode the bike plenty of miles no issues. I'm thinking its spark but can't pin point it. Also the ground on the capacitor came off and was running bad until I figured it was off, connected it, no issues until it stopped running. I'm in the army and don't have much money or room to work on the bike so taking it to the only shop here for 75hr won't work. Just need some advice

Kim...,

OK. I got your PM. We are trying to isolate the PMA from the PAMCO so we can determine which is causing the problem. To do this:

1. Disconnect the regulator for the PM. This should be either a plug for the regulator or if individual wires, then disconnect the red wire from the regulator. (Note: Wire may be a different color. It's the wire that comes from the regulator to the battery or capacitor or to the fuse box)
2. The coil has two terminals. The green wire from the PAMCO goes to one of the terminals. Leave that wire in place.
3. Disconnect all wires from the other terminal on the coil.
4. Connect a wire from the battery positive terminal to the coil terminal in step #3. Leave the battery negative terminal disconnected at this time.
5. Disconnect the red wire to the PAMCO from whatever it is connected to, fuse, switch other wire etc.
6. Connect the red wire from the PAMCO in step #5 to the positive terminal on the battery.
7. When you are ready to attempt starting the engine, ground the negative battery terminal to the frame of the motorcycle.
8. Try starting the engine.
9. If the engine starts, then check for the problem you had.
10. If the engine does not start, disconnect the negative battery terminal from the frame.
11. If the engine starts, then disconnect the negative battery terminal from the frame after you have completed your trouble shooting.
12. Do not let the engine overheat if it starts. Place a large fan in front of the engine.

Please continue this thread here rather than a PM as others may be able to assist as well.

Last edited:
Kim...,

OK. Just so you understand the process. If your PAMCO is faulty it will be replaced under warranty for no charge. But if your PMA is the problem, then there is no point in replacing the PAMCO. That's why we are going through this testing process. There is plenty of help here to get you back on the road.

Ok tried it with no luck. From my end the only thing that should be getting power is the pamco and the coil. Have the ground on the one of the engine mounts.

Hooked everything up, kicked it over. Nothing. Spayed a little carb cleaner in it, it almost started then backfired. Expected. Just won't start at all.

Hooked everything up, kicked it over. Nothing. Spayed a little carb cleaner in it, it almost started then backfired. Expected. Just won't start at all.

I assume you received the replacement PAMCO. Did you try, as suggested, wiring the PAMCO and coil temporarily to a stand alone battery?

yeah i did exactly as you stated. i only installed the parts for the left side of the pamco where the sensor is. it actually fired this time but wouldnt run, i sprayed a little carb cleaner in it so i know its firing. dont know if its a carb problem now. so im replacing them. got some mikunis on the way should be here this week.

yeah i did exactly as you stated. i only installed the parts for the left side of the pamco where the sensor is. it actually fired this time but wouldnt run, i sprayed a little carb cleaner in it so i know its firing. dont know if its a carb problem now. so im replacing them. got some mikunis on the way should be here this week.

Do you mean that you only installed the sensor plate and not the E-Advancer?

Back