State Inspections: Should I Be Concerned?

Higgy

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
This is kind of a funny title for kind of a funny thread. Well, I guess I don't really mean funny as much as I mean peculiar. I'm talking about state inspections, and how many people actually adhere to the rules or bypass them, or ignore them altogether.

I've ridden all over the states on bikes that were never inspected from the moment they were rolled off the showroom floor. All they had were temporary plates, and when I registered them, I just slapped on the plate and rode off into the sunset - fully disregarding ANY attempt to take it in for an inspection sticker. I've done it this way for many years.

I never worried, because all of these were on stock, or close to stock bikes, which would have passed inspection anyway, upon the slim chance that I would get pulled over. However, now that I am on the verge of building a chopper, I'm feeling like my chances of getting noticed will increase a hundred-fold.

I've been studying custom bike sites for years, and most all of the bikes I see don't have a sticker. I'm afraid my karma will run out if I build a bike and rip around on it, and instead of a Goldwing or HD-whatever rolling by, it'll be some loud custom bike, and heads will turn. If the common public will turn their heads, then so will the police.

Should I be worried? Because if I build a bike, I really don't want mufflers on it, and speedo/odo, and all the shit that the state of NH says that I need. I want my artwork to be from ME totally, and not predicated on what New Hampshire tells me to do.

So should I be a pussy and a follower, and play it safe and build to the state requirements, or go rogue and rebel, and do it my way?

What are your thoughts, my friends? :confused:

Hey Higgy, I too have that rebel spirit (I'm a pastor and have too bikes, and some of the people don't like it, but hey, I have to be me), I know here in pa, by times the cops tend to keep an eye on bikers, or they will follow me a distance (bummer) can't open her up that way. I think as long its built safe, we should be able to do our on thing. But on this one maybe you want to play it safe.

Definately build it the way you want.
It is nice to be able to ride it when you are done, though.

I did most of the legally required on my '77 - cause I hate tickets. About all it entailed that I wasn't sure I wanted anyway was a horn and a high/low beam. I added that cause it would be easily proven I ignored it. I did cheat on the exhaust so I guess that's a wilfull flaunting of the law (I did not put baffles in the pipes) But it is not as loud as some others around town unless I'm at high RPM so I'm really not worried about that.

Hey Higgy, I too have that rebel spirit (I'm a pastor and have too bikes, and some of the people don't like it, but hey, I have to be me), I know here in pa, by times the cops tend to keep an eye on bikers, or they will follow me a distance (bummer) can't open her up that way. I think as long its built safe, we should be able to do our on thing. But on this one maybe you want to play it safe.

A man has got to do what is in his heart.

Looks like what we have here are a couple REAL bad-asses. :eek: To hell with "the man" and screw his vehicle inspection. :yikes: I think someone has fell off their bike one to many times while without a helmet on. But then, it only takes once. :banghead:

I hear ya, Solo.

2007, I got into a pretty bad crash. Full leathers, full-face helmet. I rode for 40 years up until that moment, and never once was without a motorcycle no matter where Uncle Sam stationed me. I rode in Paris. I rode in Rome. I rode the Autobahn every day to work and back as long as there wasnt snow on the ground. Never an accident. Never a close call. Forty years of fun, and one night broke 13 bones, and pretty bad traumatic brain injury. Took me months to unfuck myself.

Truth be known, I haven't ridden since that October night in 2007. My first back-in-the-saddle experience will be Spring of 2016, on a ride of my own build.

This is why I ask retarded questions. Well, that and the brain damage, not to mention the brain damage OR the brain damage!

Actually, I am kind of over the brain damage part. Fully recovered except some shoulder and hip issues.

Where was I? Oh yeah. I'm leaning toward saying fuck the LAW.

Definately build it the way you want.
It is nice to be able to ride it when you are done, though.

I did most of the legally required on my '77 - cause I hate tickets. About all it entailed that I wasn't sure I wanted anyway was a horn and a high/low beam. I added that cause it would be easily proven I ignored it. I did cheat on the exhaust so I guess that's a wilfull flaunting of the law (I did not put baffles in the pipes) But it is not as loud as some others around town unless I'm at high RPM so I'm really not worried about that.

Another problem of mine - at least I consider it a problem - is that I have know the new chief of police in my town (very small town in NH). I used to work with him 20 years ago, when he was a snot-nosed kid straight out of high school. I mentored him in a lot of stuff at work (machinist).

I dont want to take advantage of his friendship because I might need his help with something down the road of more importance, ya know? I'm always careful about that.

But...

I think I'm going to build it anyway, and build it the way I want it, and ride it like I sto... built it. Fuck 'em.

Higgy,
Hahaha!!! According to my mechanic, (a licensed inspector), here in the People's Republic of New York, if your bike had it when it was built, it needs it for inspection. Blinkers, horn, muffler(s), an accurate (within reason) speedometer, etc. Once inspected, these items can be removed, but if you're pulled over and ticketed, you get to add to the State's wealth (that they say they don't have). Blah, blah, blah. You got it right: Fuck 'em.

and i thought NH was the "Live Free or Die" state... surprised they require inspections.

stickers, or lack thereof, are hard to see at speed. usually, you're not going to get nailed for no sticker unless you're stopped for speeding or run into a roadblock traffic check. some cops will let you slide on the inspection if they write you a fat speeding ticket, still not much fun. i usually don't bother with inspections, but my various bikes are always registered and insured. i would never go without those. check your lights at least every other ride too. i carefully prep my bikes to be safe and to handle at speed.

it's not easy to build a cool looking bike that is fully legally compliant. if you live in a city of any size in stop and go traffic you're a better target. it helps to live out in the sticks like in northern PA where cops are few and far between, and certainly to slow down and obey all laws in towns and residential areas, and not speed on obvious stretches of roads where cops may be lurking. the biggest threat where i ride the twisties is deer. have had several close calls, and hit one but did not crash- through luck and skill...

Another problem of mine - at least I consider it a problem - is that I have know the new chief of police in my town (very small town in NH). I used to work with him 20 years ago, when he was a snot-nosed kid straight out of high school. I mentored him in a lot of stuff at work (machinist).

I dont want to take advantage of his friendship because I might need his help with something down the road of more importance, ya know? I'm always careful about that.

But...

I think I'm going to build it anyway, and build it the way I want it, and ride it like I sto... built it. Fuck 'em.

Higgy, you BE a goddam rebel if you want to... I was a cop for just over 30 years and got out recently because I got TIRED of the 'MAN' and all the regulations we were supposed to enforce. Made me sick. Common sense went out the window I think in about 1988 or so... You know the risks, you know the rules. Don't cry if you get caught and always be ready to re-evaluate where you 'stand', just cause you decide to be a rebel don't mean you are stupid! Good luck and !Vaya Con Dios!

I live in the great state of NY, note the sarcasm, It only cost $6 for an inspection. Much cheaper than the fine you'll get for not having the sticker.
Build as you like, just be aware that it's not the cops fault when you get tickets.
Leo

I live in the great state of NY, note the sarcasm, It only cost $6 for an inspection. Much cheaper than the fine you'll get for not having the sticker.
Build as you like, just be aware that it's not the cops fault when you get tickets.
Leo

Northern NY is actually pretty cool. :wink2:

- - - if I build a bike, I really don't want mufflers on it, and speedo/odo, and all the shit that the state of NH says that I need. I want my artwork to be from ME totally, and not predicated on what New Hampshire tells me to do.
So should I be a pussy and a follower, and play it safe and build to the state requirements, or go rogue and rebel, and do it my way?
What are your thoughts, my friends? - - -

Hi Higgy,
a lot of that mandatory gear is there for your own protection and I think that removing it should be up to you.
OTOH, it's also there to protect other road users from guys riding unsafe bikes so I think that it's your civic duty to keep the safety-related stuff in place.
I think a true artist should be able to create a machine that had it's own individual style AND also be street-legal.
Or at least, street-legal until it was safety stickered and you could bolt all that stuff off again, eh?

I owned shops that did inspection in NJ and PA. Now NJ did away with motorcycle inspection and its great build what you want but you can still get a ticket for pipes and handle bars but PA another story if the bike came with it ......they can fail you for not having it on bike. Hard tails that were put on a bike is also a no no but we did inspect them if the bike had good brakes lights tires and was in good shape it got a sticker. Now I lived in NY for 13 years and I rode with out a inspection sticker because the shops near me would not put a sticker on a bike that was modified. I had a buddy who bought a custom $40,000 bike and it had everything and they would not inspect it. We did find a guy upstate that inspected everything but it was a small farm town and they drove tractors on the street so bikes were not a issue. NY will not pass a bike if there is any signs of dry rot on a tire no matter how good the tread is.
So every state is different

I used to work at a Harley dealership, and never even stickered my bikes then. Lots of folks that I know never sticker theirs either. Must be a regional thing like you say. I was chatting with friends at a picnic table in front of an old country store and actually had a cop pull over just so he could ogle my bike... which was stickerless. It was just a basic Street Glide, but there was a yellow stripe running horizontally across the fairing, tanks, and bags. Looked sharp. No ticket. No mention of the absence of inspection sticker. He talked my ear off, got in his cruiser and left.

There are more than one state that go by the depth of tire and not the crack in the rubber. NJ was one they put a gauge in tire and if you were below the allowed amount didn't get inspected. So its more common than you think. Come to think I never seen a bike with a inspection sticker in Carolina Beach area when I go to stay with my son. Do they have inspection for bikes in NC and where do you go DMV or SHOPS. I am going to leave one of my bikes down there and he is going to tag it.
Hey by the way you are calling those guys bad asses and you have POP CORN as your picture????

Being a moon shiner is bad ass .. Taking your own life is not
Going to jail as a moonshiner he would have been KING in there.

Back