stator cover ideas??

WELDFAN

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
clear stator cover build

so im looking at creating a stator/rotor cover for my xs. i machine/weld for a living so have access to any type of equipment i want. my thought was a clear lexan with polished aluminum in a style like this with my own design.

03_GSXR.JPG

wanted to know what materials have been tried with any good results. the lexan can withstand the slight ambient heat from the motor but kinda concerned about possible cracking from vibration... last thing i want is some fun chunks up in the stator. tossed arround the idea of notching a channel arround the circumference and putting a rubber o ring to seal and prevent metal to lexan contact.

Last edited:
Lexan won't crack there (polycarbonate) It has worlds less notch sensitivity than cast or stretched acrylic.
Pretty neat design.
It might collect carbon dust from the brushes on the inner surface over time though.

Last edited:
fun chunks up in the stator. tossed arround the idea of notching a channel arround the circumference and putting a rubber o ring to seal and prevent metal to lexan contact.

You just want to make sure it doesn't shatter. It seems like I remember Lexan is shatter resistant but that's just a gut feeling now...

Alternatively, do what they do, or at least used to do, with windshield glass. Laminate it with plastic on the inside so that if it does shatter it won't separate.

Maybe best idea is use very flexible thin plastic that you know can't shatter.

Lexan is polycarbonate and does not shatter. You can buy GE Lexan at Home Depot and Lowes in small pieces. Acrylic sheet shatters. Even if you don't find the GE Lexan, any brand of polycarbonate will do. It's on the sheet, and will usually have ANSI Z87 on it somewhere, but not always.

Looks nice, my buddy is in the process of doing a afterburner style cover. How much would you charge to cut a design out like that for a cover ?

Being a function-over-form type, what I'd like to see is a rotating draft/vane type cover, like the rotating heat vent on a charcoal grill. Nudge it open with the toe of your foot to cool the alternator, nudge it closed when rain or junk comes your way...

hahahah as i put in the original post that pic is not something i made it is a base concept of what i want to do but have the lexan in there. having the info backing lexan being shatter resistant makes perfect sense to me seems as it is the material we use for the windshields of the helicopters here. i know my first try at a cover will not look exactly that nice but figure over time i can refine my process to have some nice pieces produced. im getting ready to take some more accurate measurments today so that i can fab soon. one point that was made by a friend was that i will have to keep the arc contour for it provides room for the brushes. might take a lil trial and error with some guidance from senior workers on how to heat and mold the arc on the lexan. figure i can bake it in an oven and lay it over one the original covers to have the right shape.

two picks of my recent exsperiments. one piece bent and one is a rough first try at getting the contour and shape of a new stator cover

full

full

yes i was told it workd great in vacume molding. from my trials with the material i agree it is a great way to control the material during molding so that you do not end up having to overheat or stress it while forming.

How about one out of aluminum with Yamaha in block letters across it. Without a big gouge from the shifter.
Leo

Could add backlighting, leds that show that the brushes are powered, output exists for each of the stator lines, or a simple 'Your AD here'....

Maybe mikes still sells the one that is plain without the Yam name. You can use it as a form to mold the lexan to it, get the curved bulge. i guess you can fill weld the yam name too on a stock unit then grind it smooth to make your own die and save a few $.

Back