Stator is getting so hot the wires at the phase connections melting

I've been following these threads, and I just gotta be honest. I have a HHB PMA myself and find it off putting that Hugh himself isn't responding to any of this. My engine has barely ran since the install and from I saw I wasn't thrilled with my voltage readings. Again, I said barely ran so it may be something simple like a bad ground but still, it bothers me that Hugh isn't chiming in. Clear answers would be nice.

I'm sorry for not getting in here sooner:doh: - usually I don't know about these threads until I've had a moment to get in, do some searching, etc... Or someone sends me and email with a link so I know to chime in.

We do get pretty busy, roughly 100 emails a day - which keeps me from getting on the forums as much as I wish I could. Soo much to do, so little time.

BUT, I'm always an email away - so never feel bashful about getting in touch with me.

SO, whats up with the PMA systems that we have been having issues with? Well, I am an honest feller, and see no need to try and hide much - I'm certainly not getting rich doing this, and only want to provide the best I can - so here goes :thumbsup:

We have had an issue with the quality of the Solder being used on our stators, from the supplier. The connections from the yellow wires to the windings on the stators were being soldered "cold" and with what I have deemed inferior quality solder. When these soldered connections fail, it causes the stator to run hot, as it's still producing energy and searching for a place to dissipate it. Usually through the ground of the stator itself, causing "cooked" looking stators.

We did not realize this issue until we started getting several stators back in house, damaged from heat and a bad connection - as soon as we realized it, we stopped selling the unit we had, and contacted the manufacturer.

We have rectified the situation, the manufacturer of the stators has started using higher quality solder, AND crimps on the connections -as opposed to only solder - providing 2X the connection strength than before.

IF you have an issue with your HHB PMA System, we stand behind it 100% - we are here for the long haul. Mistakes happen, components fail, but in the end, we want to make it proper... I am always just an email away (may be a day or two to respond, but I always respond) and will gladly do my best to make sure you are up and running.

Also, for preventative maintenance, simply pulling the PMA Flywheel and checking those soldered connections or resoldering them won't hurt a thing - if anything, it will reassure you that the connections are good to go.

Never ever feel that you can't let me know something is amiss, I enjoy these old bikes as much as the next guy, and the last thing I want is unhappy folks out there - because these old bikes deserve better from us

Hugh

Appreciate the reply Hugh, I know your a good dude and sorry if my comment seemed harsh.

Not at all my man! I would rather have to tuck my tail and figure out the problem, than to live in total seclusion thinking everything is just fine. We don't get better that way - and those that know how I operate, know that I only want to give my best. THANKS for being honest and "harsh" if so deemed, as I haven't had much time to get into the forums lately - and it is obvious that I am needed in here more often. :thumbsup:

Hugh

I'm sorry for not getting in here sooner:doh: - usually I don't know about these threads until I've had a moment to get in, do some searching, etc... Or someone sends me and email with a link so I know to chime in.

We do get pretty busy, roughly 100 emails a day - which keeps me from getting on the forums as much as I wish I could. Soo much to do, so little time.

BUT, I'm always an email away - so never feel bashful about getting in touch with me.

SO, whats up with the PMA systems that we have been having issues with? Well, I am an honest feller, and see no need to try and hide much - I'm certainly not getting rich doing this, and only want to provide the best I can - so here goes :thumbsup:

We have had an issue with the quality of the Solder being used on our stators, from the supplier. The connections from the yellow wires to the windings on the stators were being soldered "cold" and with what I have deemed inferior quality solder. When these soldered connections fail, it causes the stator to run hot, as it's still producing energy and searching for a place to dissipate it. Usually through the ground of the stator itself, causing "cooked" looking stators.

We did not realize this issue until we started getting several stators back in house, damaged from heat and a bad connection - as soon as we realized it, we stopped selling the unit we had, and contacted the manufacturer.

We have rectified the situation, the manufacturer of the stators has started using higher quality solder, AND crimps on the connections -as opposed to only solder - providing 2X the connection strength than before.

IF you have an issue with your HHB PMA System, we stand behind it 100% - we are here for the long haul. Mistakes happen, components fail, but in the end, we want to make it proper... I am always just an email away (may be a day or two to respond, but I always respond) and will gladly do my best to make sure you are up and running.

Also, for preventative maintenance, simply pulling the PMA Flywheel and checking those soldered connections or resoldering them won't hurt a thing - if anything, it will reassure you that the connections are good to go.

Never ever feel that you can't let me know something is amiss, I enjoy these old bikes as much as the next guy, and the last thing I want is unhappy folks out there - because these old bikes deserve better from us

Hugh

Hugh, was there a specific bad batch? i.e. can you say, people that bought kits between x and y date should check the soldering?

I got my replacement unit. Looks the same. I put all HHB parts into the bike, even though I have sourced a VF500F stator, mosfet R1 R/R, and banshee rotor. I think it's only fair that I give the HHB parts a second chance based on his explanation.

I was really looking forward to testing various combinations of these parts, but I'm selling my bike. My fiancé just got an exciting job transfer that has prompted us to move. Unfortunately, I will be without a garage. Until we buy a place and settle down to a more permanent place with a dedicated garage/shop, I'm out of the vintage bike game. Over the years, sitting on an upside down bucket in a parking lot to work on my bike has become more frustrating that rewarding. I'd love to keep the XS, but I'd prefer to use its value to buy an evo sportster that I will keep stock.

Here's to more riding and less picking dirt out of my tools and landlords complaining about oil stains in my parking space.

Regards,
Adam

Hugh, was there a specific bad batch? i.e. can you say, people that bought kits between x and y date should check the soldering?

It is hard to tell honestly, as we didn't have batch numbers for these items (or any of our items really, we don't have SKU Numbers, UPC Labels, etc... We try to keep it simple)

The hard part, is that we might get a returned stator from a guy who just installed it, but had it sitting on his bench for 3-4 months.

It's looking like the issue was mostly in the last 6 months. Checking your stator is a wise idea, no matter what. It wouldn't take long using the supplied PMA Flywheel Puller in the kit. Check the soldered connections from the Yellow wires to the windings. The solder should be "Shiny" and wet looking, not crusty and dull in appearance. Resoldering the wires has proven to be effective as a preventative measure.

If anyone has stator issues, we stand behind it 100% - so if you folks find any issues, know we are here to stand behind the product. :thumbsup:

I have an electrosport ESG740, that I have been using for just over a year with absolutely no problem, paired with an FH016AA Mosfet/series reg/rec. The last time I checked the voltages were rock solid and It still looks exactly like the picture on the Electrosport website. Could be luck of the draw but I am pleased with this setup. Using the above parts with an xsCharge mounting plate and this rotor has yielded great reults. All total I have about $275 in the PMA and the only thing I bought used was the reg/rec (which are still available on ebay from 06-07 ZX6R for about $50).

Current prices are:
stator - $97 (on Amazon)
Flywheel - $101 (on Ebay)
Mounting plate - $50 (on Ebay)
Reg/rec - $50 (on Ebay)

So currently it would cost around $300 for the above listed parts.

I am also using a Ballistic Evo2 4 cell Lithium battery kick only.

Clayton
Hello Clayton, I just went through my new xscharge stator after only 370 miles of riding.You say you used the xscharge mounting plate with the esg740 stator. Did you use the xs rotor as well? I don't want to buy another like the other. I thought it looked poorly built when I took it out of the box but hoped it would hold up. It would be nice if I can salvage something from the xscharge package to use with the electrosport stator.
I have an electrosport ESG740, that I have been using for just over a year with absolutely no problem, paired with an FH016AA Mosfet/series reg/rec. The last time I checked the voltages were rock solid and It still looks exactly like the picture on the Electrosport website. Could be luck of the draw but I am pleased with this setup. Using the above parts with an xsCharge mounting plate and this rotor has yielded great reults. All total I have about $275 in the PMA and the only thing I bought used was the reg/rec (which are still available on ebay from 06-07 ZX6R for about $50).

Current prices are:
stator - $97 (on Amazon)
Flywheel - $101 (on Ebay)
Mounting plate - $50 (on Ebay)
Reg/rec - $50 (on Ebay)

So currently it would cost around $300 for the above listed parts.

I am also using a Ballistic Evo2 4 cell Lithium battery kick only.

Clayton

Back