Stator is grounded? need help

borjawil

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so ive followed curlys stator testing step (below) but im not sure if im doing it right? Set may multimeter to acv for ac volts. with my bike idleing i put one lead on a #1 white wire and the other lead on #2 I get no reading at all. I tried putting both leads on one wire and all different combos but get .3-.4 on a couple and .1 on another. Am i doing this right?

6. At the stator wire connector locate the three white wires. Use a voltmeter set on the AC scale to test the three possible connections between the white wires by probing from the backside of the connector. (The connector should be plugged togeter for this test) With the engine running at idle you should see about 10.5 to 11 AC volts (Not DC) on each of the three combinations of white to white that you make. If you get a very low reading on one or two legs then something is grounding your stator. If you have high readings on any of the legs (i.e. 16-18VDC) then your rectifier is bad.

Soi if im doing the test right the next step has me test the ohms from the 3 white wire connected to the stator and disconnected from the other 3 wires to the reg/rec. I get the .4-.5 ohms on all so that checks out.

So from step 6 I guess something is grounding my stator. How would my stator not be grounded? the casing it touching the engine and is bolted to it. Any ideas?

Also when grounding the green wire you jump it to a black ground wire right? I read on here to put it to the red wire at the battery positive.

Last edited:
Yes, I would say you are measuring correctly. On my bike, with the engine idling, I measure 13.5 volts AC,( on any of the 3 white wire combinations), which I consider normal.

To check the stator windings for a ground, you need to first unplug the yellow wire connector that comes up by itself from the alternator. With the connector unplugged, measure the resistance from any one of the white wires to ground (use a high resistance scale.) Should measure infinity "I". If you measure a low resistance then the stator windings are touching the casing at some point.

For the regulator bypass test, there are 2 different cases, when jumpering to the green wire:

For 70 to 79 years............apply battery +

For80 to 83 years.............apply ground (earth for our UK cousins)

gotcha thanks. Ill have to look for the yellow wire. Since the wiring has been hacked. I havent seen the yellow or blue for the neutral yet though and ive gone through all the wiring before. where would i like for them at?

The yellow wire comes up in the same wire bundle as the rest of the stator wires. It comes out just by the big plug.
The blue neutral wire come in the wire bundle just above the case and runs up into the big plug.
They may have been cut out.
Leo

Back