steering damper I.D. needed -- non-XS650

DogBunny

Motorcychologist
Top Contributor
Reaction score
This damper was on a 1974 TX650. The top triple was correct. The bottom triple is identical to a proper 1974 TX650, with the addition of splines on the bottom to accommodate the damper, and a threaded hole to accept a locating screw. My pics don't show it, but there is a hole in the splined stud on the damper that the locating screw goes into. This has got to be from a Yamaha right around 1974 that used 34mm tubes. Anyone recognize it?

DSC03461.jpg
DSC03462.jpg
DSC03463.jpg
DSC03464.jpg
DSC03460.jpg

I wonder if that was aftermarket and the splined socket is a weld in bushing? Cool dampener ...

I wonder if that was aftermarket and the splined socket is a weld in bushing? Cool dampener ...
It is a pretty cool dampener. The 70-73 XS650 frames had a little post at the bottom of the neck that engaged their dampeners. The frame that this was originally on would have a similar post.
It's possible that it's aftermarket, but I don't think so. The splines are welded into the bottom of the stem, but the weld appears to still have factory paint on it. And the little flat on the bottom triple where the locating screw goes also has factory paint -- that flat doesn't exist on 74 triples.

Back