Steering damper

Wally

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I what to fit a steering damper to my cafe but cant seem to get enough swing steering head full to both sides when fitted.
I have a mikes steering damper, I have a XS C frame & was planning to use the reflecter stem that comes of the frame near the steering head as the fram mounting point & the mikes suplied braket around the forks but dont seem to be able to get full swing.

Any help, ideas, or pics of other damper set up would great thanks

Attachments

• PC090899.JPG
    PC090899.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 401
  • PC090898.JPG
    PC090898.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 481
- Wally...with 50hp or so the handling limiting factors are going to lie in the frame set-up, a steering damper will help deal with the effects but not the causes...i think you will have better results confronting these by looking at the following

roller steering head bearings​
fork brace​
twin front disc​
roller bearings in swingarm​
no play in rear and front axles​
rubber damped rear wheel eg GS750, SR500​
low profile tyres​
18in front and rear wheels, or even better 17in​
stronger, thicker tubed forks​
progressive fork springs or emulators​
15W30 fork oil​
520 chain, lighter and less vibration transferred to frame​
tyre pressures..fr 2.3-2.4..rear 2.8​
good rear shocks, min koni or ikon​

Thanks for the advise
most of what you stated i have allready done
but to be truthful i only want to fit it to my cafe for the cool factor

thanks heaps

Not to get this off topic, but how does the metricated world write tire pressures? Is it kg/cm2 or is there a shorter version.. like lb/in2 = psi.

:wtf: all this talk about how great the metric system is and you don't even use it for pressure.. :laugh:

Sorry for the :hijack:

Cool factor project: have any pictures of why it won't work or pictures of it mounted to a bike?

Ok so MikesXS says "Frame bracket must be fabricated to adapt to your application." so I'm guessing the reflector mount is just not in the ideal place. Maybe you could make a longer bracket that bolts to the mount (or around the down tube) that will allow you to mount the damper in a better location? Does that make any sense? Basically, don't try to mount the damper to the reflector mount, mount a bracket to it that will allow you mount the damper wherever you need to. Are you trying to stay away from welding on the frame? Otherwise it would be easy.

Back