Steering lock stops

Dom

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I've noticed while working on my xs that I have a greater amount of lock when turning right, nothing appears bent or damaged on the headstock nor the lower triple on inspection but it will mean that the right upper yoke clamp bolt will just about touch the tank (when it's back from paint)

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Attachments

• 20230406_183406.jpg
    20230406_183406.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 20230406_183443.jpg
    20230406_183443.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 20230406_183415.jpg
    20230406_183415.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 50
Check and see if the stop block welded on the frame is twisted. Had one like that once. Someone smacked it so hard that it literally twisted in place without breaking the welds.

It looks to my like it got bent/broken. It was welded in place rather that placed back where it belongs, then welded.

There's literally no sign around it that it has been broken off and welded back on, all looks very factory to me

I have to say that’s highly unlikely IMHO. Whoever fixed it made pretty welds.
That's what I thought and yes they did and without burning the vin sticker which is partly why I didn't think it likely that its been welded. Who knows hey! More to the point is there an easy fix without welding, a piece of steel shim ground to shape stuck on with JB Weld possibly?

is there an easy fix without welding, a piece of steel shim ground to shape stuck on with JB Weld possibly?

Memory's kinda fuzzy, but if I remember correctly, I drilled a hole in the bracket then used a steel rod. Kept trimming and testing 'till it (the stop) was where I wanted it, then JB Welded that in place. Didn't go very deep.... maybe between an eighth and a quarter of an inch. Figured having it captive in a hole was better than just sticking something on there.

Back