Today was spent cleaning up the existing wiring on the handlebars, dash, alternator, and ignition. Everything cut back to clean wire, new crimped bullet connectors.

I'm glad I decided on the full overhaul and new-wire harness. Much of the wire on this bike is oxidized as far as 2" or more into the insulation. That insulation is brittle and crumbly.

Stepped out of my comfort zone a little fabricating the mounting plates for the reg and rect and the lighting relays. Simple aluminium plates with a few holes, but still.

Picked up some stainless hardware at the new-to-me local Ace Hardware. They had Tannery in stock! Wires and seat look great, thanks 5twins!

Long day of work tomorrow. Thursday and Friday might be the long run to the finish line. Expecting wire, fuses, and heatsink compound in the mail by Friday. Hope so.
IMG_20170307_215504237_HDR.jpg

Yes, the Tannery is a wonderful product. You'll be going back for more, lol. Not sure if you use leathers in your climate but it's great for maintaining them too.

Stella is looking great DB! I'm really looking forward to meeting you both on our trip to Phoenix next week, (even more than I'm looking forward to experiencing your weather).

Cheers,

Pete

Hahaha! That's great! I've only got one key too, maybe I better do some searching!
Boy that's a first!

Cool DB - and yes, that is a great stash - but I've found that a lot of other bikes do that too. I know that many ST1300 owners stash an extra key on their bikes and at least a few of them are lashed inside a turn signal housing.

The problem is that with LED bulbs (last forever) and folks getting older....many of us can't remember where we put that extra key....

Your '77 shouldn't have a brake shoe wear indicator. But, maybe it's an early model and does have it. No matter, I would ditch that. If you neglect your bike to the point where that light comes on, you're fucked anyway, lol.

It turns out that I don't have the brake lining wear indicator on the dash. BUT, I do have the sensor and wiring for it on the rear end. Funny how the factory responds to design changes bit by bit.

Up to my ears in wire, connectors, and dielectric grease. It's a good day.

Yup - factories are often like that. One might think that it all clicks along with utter uniformity and precision but when something changes (a change in supplier, a parts shipment comes in late, a key piece of factory equipment fails, engineering or the Beauty Police mandate a change......) the factory will respond by building whatever they can with whatever they've got.

The job of every assembly plant manager, the world over, is to get jobs (i.e. cars, motorcycles, injection Molding machines, helicopters, toasters...) out the door and onto a shipper (truck, rail, air freight, etc.) - and so some pretty oddball stuff occasionally gets built - especially at the beginning or at the end of a model year.

Pete

The usual '77 rear brake plate has the castings for the brake sensor but the hole wasn't drilled and tapped, and the tab for the wires was rather crudely sawed off .....

77BrakeHub.jpg

The usual '77 rear brake plate has the castings for the brake sensor but the hole wasn't drilled and tapped, and the tab for the wires was rather crudely sawed off .....

77BrakeHub.jpg
Yeah , that's the way mine looks. I was surprised to hear that Daniels rear brake had the sensors installed in it.

Your brake torque arm is also the older style with clips to hold the wire. Is yours an early '77? Check the build date.

Back