...the required shifting force and the elusiveness of neutral were back to what it was before the clutch work...

Things like that keep me up at night.

...Maybe Stella was cranky and just wanted to be prettied up a bit...

Strange as it may seem, I've also experienced the improved performance of freshly cleaned machinery...

Yup - me too TwoMany. Clean stuff just works better somehow.

...now, if I could just stay off the damned airplanes long enough to polish Lucille’s engine cases, maybe she and I could go for a ride sometime....

Stella looks superb Daniel - really nice job.

Pete

I've never been a fan of the billet alternator cover. Of the three items I was hoping for when I responded to the vague parts ad, this cover is the one item I got. So much better!

IMG_20171105_170044893.jpg
IMG_20171105_170628605.jpg
IMG_20171105_170747939.jpg
IMG_20171105_171004111.jpg

*Simple Green and a gray Scotchbrite

Last edited:
Very nice Daniel. I think it looks much better too. Good job.

Progressive 14 Series. They're a whole lot better than the shot stockers they replaced, but I can't compare to other aftermarket options.

Back in October I had done some clutch work on Stella. All in all, a huge improvement. Adjustment of the shifter pawl solved my issue of slipping out of second. New friction plates got rid of a stutter on take-off. While I was in there I tightened the spring on the starter gear and can now enjoy using that little black button without all the racket.

All good stuff, but I knew I wasn't done in there. I hadn't smoothed the sharp edges of the steel plates. I didn't like using the stock spring screws without a sure torque value. And most bothersome of all was that even though the stock springs all measured more than ok by length, I was experiencing some slip. I should have listened to 5t's recommendation of replacing the stock springs.

So, with another 1000 miles on the odo and a periodic maintenance scheduled for the weekend, I decided it was time to go in again.

Here's the inner clutch hub as I checked to be sure my modded stock spacers (thanks Pete!) and 40mm screws weren't too long. Everything in the right half of this photo is stock, left half new. These are EBC CSK14's. Clearly stronger than the stockers. The 40mm screw on the left could use another mm or two, but the key is that they aren't too long.

IMG_20180224_114653313.jpg

One might think the socket head might be too tall as they are much taller than the stock JIS head, but there's plenty of room for them.
IMG_20180224_115111441.jpg
IMG_20180224_115134769.jpg

IMG_20180224_132954120.jpg

All's buttoned up now and ready for a test drive. There's definitely more force on the clutch lever; we'll see how that plays out in normal riding, can't say I'm thrilled about it in stop-and-go traffic.

That's a good tip.

The cable was well oiled with 90wt gear oil in October. It's not unbearably stiff, just a noticable difference with the new springs.

cool, nice write up! I just ordered Barnett springs for madness. When I opened it I had three HD springs that were awful long and three stock springs. It would still slip when it hit the cam at 5G I also did an ippytattoo 8 plate conversion Then I did a bit of work at the perch. Clutch lever pivot bushing It'll be awhile and there's more to do before it hits the road.
hmm this sounds like thread tromping but just sharing a bit of clutch head scratching, a popular activity.

Last edited:
Looks great Daniel - and so glad those old clutch screws->>>New clutch screw washer/spacers worked out. I truly enjoyed that little machining job - it took me back to my roots in the mold shop!

Tomorrow morning I am heading out to my semi-monthly vintage bike group breakfast meeting - hopefully n my SV650!

Stella is looking very smart BTW - safe riding!

Pete

Daniel, nice job!
Am interested to hear your test drive report.

Pete, we'll need some pics of her first trip eh!

Stella is looking very smart BTW

Smart? Ha! This poor gal is in what I like to call 'daily commuter trim'.
IMG_20180224_162210266.jpg

Just for you, Robin, I took a quick spin around the neighborhood. 'Flickable' shifting, neutral exactly where it should be and easily found, and zero slip with shifts at 5500. The real test will likely be the commute on Monday.

Hey Daniel, next time you pull the carbs ya get out your buffer, bada boom bada bing, a little carb bling.

Thanks for the ride report. Good news buddy! Installing those springs waiting in one of my parts boxes is on the list. Keep us posted after a few miles on your commute.

Back