steveair2's '78 XS Chopped Hard Build

Steve, that compliment means a lot coming from you. Thanks!

I've been cleaning my shop and resting a little bit.
It's been a delightfully cool summer in north Texas this year.
It's still a little hot, beer helps!

Today I tapered my down tubes and finished fitting the lower neck support tubes. I have the back bone tack welded in place and have one lower neck tube support tacked into place.

Attachments

• m39.jpg
    m39.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 195
  • m40.jpg
    m40.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 198
  • m41.jpg
    m41.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 240
Interesting. First time I've seen a gooseneck design in the build stage. Looks stout, maintaining triangulation.

Members have asked in the past what the wall thicknesses are of the stock frame tubes.
Could you post that?

Thanks vernk, I really appreciate the compliment. I do need to clean my shop windows.
Here's a beer induced extra picture. Everything's better with beer!

Attachments

• m43.jpg
    m43.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 258
Today I did a lot of welding. When I had the top tube open everything was rust free.
I did notice that the top motor mount connection area had some good rust inside.
You can see in the picture how the water can get into this area.
I decided to close these gaps. You can see I put in a self tapping screw between the bolt holes. This screw hole lets the air escape during welding and serves as a port for injecting corrosion inhibiting oil. Crap! My pictures wont't upload!

Last edited:
Something is screwed up with my phone and pictures. Here's what I have for the above reply. That's a for shit looking weld! I need to go back and fix that.

Attachments

• m44.JPG
    m44.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 233
  • m45.JPG
    m45.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 227
  • m46.JPG
    m46.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 242
  • m47.JPG
    m47.JPG
    172.1 KB · Views: 233
Left side mid mount.

Attachments

• m49.JPG
    m49.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 192
  • m50.JPG
    m50.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 193
  • m51.JPG
    m51.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 203
  • m52.JPG
    m52.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 189
  • m53.JPG
    m53.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 213
Finished fabing my right mid mount and tacked it into position.
Figured out I tacked it 3/16" too far aft. Thanks BEER!
I'll cut it off in the morning and put it on right
I know to do light tacks when I'm intoxicated!

Attachments

• m54.JPG
    m54.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 193
  • m55.JPG
    m55.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 209
Hi Steve,
will anyone notice? That's a mere 5mm. Aah, say fukkit and burn her in there.
If the lack of symmetry really bothers you, make one of your custom footpegs 3/16" longer that t'other.
FWIW, the 250 BSAs left the factory with the right footpeg 2" ahead of the left and I never felt it when riding mine, or even noticed it was like that for the first 5 years I owned it.

Yeah I know, no one would notice but me. But every time I looked at it, it would bug me.
There's only three small tacks to cut. Won't take long at all. Thanks for the input.
One good thing about these mid mounts is they hide the funky transition between the hard tail and stock frame.

Last edited:
Yeah, but you were still drunk when you measured it's 3/16" displacement.
How about re-measuring in the cold light of sobriety before waving the grinder at it?

Ah, the cold, cold light of sobriety. The mounts are next to the rectangular cross member.
I can see the difference with my naked eye.

Tonight I took one of the pieces I cut off the square tubing to make my mid mounts and fabed up a mounting bracket for my rectifier/regulator.

Attachments

• m56.JPG
    m56.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 197
  • m57.JPG
    m57.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 182
  • m58.JPG
    m58.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 209
Thanks for the encouragement Airwolfie. I almost had my coil mount completed tonight, until a mosquito flew into my ear canal. I had to take a shower to get it out. I didn't want to go back to the shop after a shower. Watched The Black List with my wife. Cool show.

Last edited:
Finished mounting my coil.

Attachments

• m62.JPG
    m62.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 192
  • m59.JPG
    m59.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 186
  • m60.JPG
    m60.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 180