steveair2's '78 XS Chopped Hard Build

Hi Steve,
I clicked onto your other project. Impressive. I used to build airplanes too.
Last one was the Concorde. Mind you, I did have 10,000 other guys helping.
But building a biplane, an ultralight AND a bike all by yourself?
All at the same time and none of them finished?
Pick one, I'd say, and get her done.
That, or get yourself cloned.

Concorde? In the mid-late '90s one of them came to Wichita Mid-Continent Airport. Clear, but super-humid air at ground level. When the Concorde hit that moist air on short final, a massive plume of angel hair surrounded the bird, extending back about 3 body lengths. A real 'Kodak' moment. Impressive. A fitting tribute to their decommissioning. What a loss...

Hi 2Many,
alas, the Concorde was a beautiful bird but was never commercially viable.
When we first started cutting metal aviation kerosene cost 17 Cents an Imperial Gallon.
When she first saw service aviation kerosene cost 17 cents a teacupful.
Took an international conspiracy to kill her off though.
Lazy French didn't sweep up the runway to remove the chunk of metal that an American aircraft dropped there.

Fred, after thirteen years building on my biplane making everything from scratch; I decided to take a break from it and build something I can finish within a year.

Today I did a bit more surgery on the tank, then I finally cut the ugly ass end off the backbone.

Attachments

• m67.JPG
    m67.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 239
  • m64.JPG
    m64.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 241
  • m65.JPG
    m65.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 241
  • m66.JPG
    m66.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 224
  • m68.JPG
    m68.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 313
Hi Steve,
Your slash-cut frame tubes bring to mind the scene in Seven Samurai where Yohei is waiting to repel the bandits armed with a length of bamboo slashed off at an angle in lieu of a spear.
Please tell me you plan to plate over those elliptical openings?

Today I made progress on my tank mods. I also cut and shaped the first of three elliptical cover plates from .090 aircraft grade 4130, grain running parallel with frame tube.
All the tubing and sheet steel that I have added to this frame is aircraft grade 4130,
except for the steel used in my fuel tank mods and coil notch cover plates.
The coil notch cover plates were hacked out of a empty propane cylinder.

Attachments

• m70.JPG
    m70.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 256
  • m71.JPG
    m71.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 276
  • m69.JPG
    m69.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 276
Not much progress this week due to having to work late most days, and other crappy life events. I did get some welding done on the tank today.

Attachments

• m72.JPG
    m72.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 191
A few weeks ago, I got in a hurry on the left lower neck support tube. I tack welded it in.
It was slightly off. I cut it out and made a new one. I figured while it was out, it would be a good time to weld the neck and other neck support tubes. I've cut all the cover plates for my cut outs and have been working on fuel tank mounting details.

Attachments

• m73.JPG
    m73.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 191
Just a thought, while you're gooseneck building, maybe you could figure a way to route/bury your wiring thru there, so it's not dangling in the breeze...??? Maybe a hidden pass-thru tube?

I found some pictures of my bike before the chopping started. Those handlebars ROCK!

Attachments

• DSC00749.jpg
    DSC00749.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC00750.jpg
    DSC00750.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 179
I welded in the lower left neck tube during Monday night football.
Tonight I made some good progress on my fuel tank mounts.

Attachments

• m78.JPG
    m78.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 238
  • m77.JPG
    m77.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 224
  • m76.JPG
    m76.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 188
  • m75.JPG
    m75.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 177
  • m74.JPG
    m74.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 180
Today I closed up the remaining tank openings and did much finish welding.
I used some 1/4" steel brake line tubing to make my fuel tank outlets, I brazed them in.
I also welded in a tank drain bung, washed the tank out and am ready to leak test.

Attachments

• m80.JPG
    m80.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 168
  • m79.JPG
    m79.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 203
The tank tested good, no leaks. I gave the bottom a light sand blasting and then shot it with a couple of coats of Rustoleum clear. Then started work on seat mounting details.

Attachments

• m81.JPG
    m81.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 202
  • m82.JPG
    m82.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 192
Finished tack welding the seat. I won't final weld it until I decide if I like it or not.
Started making handle bar risers. Can't decide on handle bar design.

Attachments

• M87.JPG
    M87.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 188
  • M88.JPG
    M88.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 182
  • M89.JPG
    M89.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 176
Starting yo look like a bike!

I think it needs some euro bars or drag bar, Don't think apes would look good on it, but that's just my opinion!

Thanks Airwolfie. I wanted drag bars. My problem is that I put so much stretch in the frame that I would have to ride in a crotch rocket position if I used drag type bars.
I don't like riding like that. I'm mocking up some bars out of electrical conduit.
It may take a few try's to find something I like. Certainly NOT apes.

Didn't you have a engine teardown thread? Could you post a link to it. I lost it.

Back