steveair2's '78 XS Chopped Hard Build

I was looking forward to seeing those tall pulled back bars on the final assembly. Regardless, will be a cool build once it all comes together.

Thanks Fox, I just checked out your build. I just hope I can get mine to look as good as yours. Our builds share a few similarity's.

Started work on some mids.

Attachments

• bike100.JPG
    bike100.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 246
  • bike99.JPG
    bike99.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 278
  • bike101.JPG
    bike101.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 295
  • bike102.JPG
    bike102.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 254
Thanks again Airwolfie! Been working on cleaning the left engine cover and working on clutch linkage design. Still much internal cleaning and smoothing out of the exterior to do.
I like taking these old dirty parts and making them like new.

Attachments

• m49.JPG
    m49.JPG
    187.9 KB · Views: 235
  • m48.JPG
    m48.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 273
  • m47.JPG
    m47.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 270
I've been away from this forum for a few years due to first getting laid off from the chemical plant, then worked for myself doing residential and commercial repair work. Working for myself left me with no free time. So I then took a industrial mechanic job, but that ended up being six twelve hour days a week.
Now, I work as a mechanic at Pepsico. Forty hours a week and it's only three and a half miles from my house.

I'm getting back on this project and have set a goal to ride this bike by January 1st. In the pictures you can see that I did turn the handle bars down a little, but the bars are still in design stage. I spent the last two weekends designing and building my clutch and shift linkages. The shift lever kinked when I bent it. I will make a new one.

I drink much less beer now than I did when I worked at the chemical plant.
I've got four months to do quite a bit of work. They build these things in a week on TV!

Wish me luck!

Attachments

• stuka5.jpg
    stuka5.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 219
  • stuka1.JPG
    stuka1.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 214
  • stuka2.jpg
    stuka2.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 204
  • stuka3.jpg
    stuka3.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 228
  • stuka4.jpg
    stuka4.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
After my last post with the clutch and shiftier situated, I celebrated the situation with some beer and headlight mock location.
I work at Pepsi from 2pm to 10:30pm. I'm working late at night on this project.

This week I'm working on the upper engine mounts. I started with some two inch by one eighth inch angle iron. Using poster board patterns.

Attachments

• stuka6.JPG
    stuka6.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 170
  • stuka7.jpg
    stuka7.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 214
  • stuka8.jpg
    stuka8.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 196
I like the setup for the suicide shifter but one thing to do if using stock worm pusher. Put a stop in so you don't step on the clutch lever and go past the worm end or it disingauges clutch and you have to pull cover to reset. Done a couple this way and this is the only flaw I found.

I like the setup for the suicide shifter but one thing to do if using stock worm pusher. Put a stop in so you don't step on the clutch lever and go past the worm end or it disingauges clutch and you have to pull cover to reset. Done a couple this way and this is the only flaw I found.

Good advice, Rich. The stock worm provides 0.0035" of pushrod travel for every degree of rotation. Subtract about 0.010" for slack take-up, etc. The pressure plate will disengage the hub's splines at about 3mm, 1/8" of travel. Sample rotation values:

Rotation -> Pressure plate displacement (minus 0.010" slack takeup)
10° -> 0.025" (1/2mm)
20° -> 0.060" (1.5mm) <-(about max with cable system)
30° -> 0.095" (2.5mm) <-(this should be considered as the limit)

If using the MikesXS replacement clutch worm kit, the shallower ramp angle gives about 0.003" of travel for every degree of work rotation. Use this guide:

For MikesXS worm,
Rotation -> Pressure plate displacement (minus 0.010" slack takeup)
10° -> 0.020" (1/2mm)
20° -> 0.050" (1.25mm) <-(about max with cable system)
30° -> 0.080" (2.0mm)
35° -> 0.095" (2.5mm) <-(this should be considered as the limit)

Last edited:
Man you dudes are cool! Thanks for the great advise, and any compliment I can get really helps!
I really do appreciate the help. That's some great information TwoMany! You must really know these bikes!

I've been cutting a lot of metal with my sawzall with the Milwaukee Torch blades. They work great and allow you to cut a very straight precise line on your metal.
Last night my sawzall put out a little smoke, so I put it up hoping to get it repaired later. I ended up getting out my Cobra 2000 cutting a welding torch.
I haven't gotten proficient with this torch yet so I thought I would give it a try. I was trying to make these engine mounts using only the two inch angle iron, but two inches just wasn't enough for the top portion of the mount. I ended up finding some .135 4130 left over from my airplane project.
I'll be cutting the top engine mount parts from it.

In the pictures you can see that I used poster board to make the top template. I pressed the poster board onto the bolt hole bushings, then marked everything out with some washers. I'm outa gas for tonight, I'll see you dudes later.

Attachments

• stuka10.jpg
    stuka10.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 193
  • stuka11.jpg
    stuka11.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 174
  • stuka12.jpg
    stuka12.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 158
  • stuka13.jpg
    stuka13.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 174
  • stuka14.jpg
    stuka14.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 167
Today I shaped the lower engine mount pieces and cut and shaped the upper pieces.
I'm using my Cobra 2000 torch to cut with. It cuts different than a regular cutting torch and has been a little difficult to get used to.
In the pictures you can see that I drilled the rear holes in the fittings, then used a transfer punch through the valve cover bolt holes to mark the front bolt hole locations. Then I clamped the two together and match drilled the holes. Sorry my pictures posted out of order.

stuka17.jpg stuka19.jpg stuka20.jpgstuka15.jpgstuka16.jpgstuka18.jpg

I knew after a few beers I'd end up back out in the shop. I continued shaping the upper pieces and then clamped the left one to the frame.
Using a transfer punch through the right side of the frame, I marked the bolt holes.
stuka21.jpg

After drilling the holes in the upper plate I marked the lower angle on the back side to be cut.
The hack saw is one of my favorite tools. You can cut very straight and accurate lines with one.
They also cut quicker than most people think. I use 32 teeth per inch blades, they work great.
stuka22.jpg stuka23.jpg

Nice clean and straight cut. Ready to weld.
stuka24.jpg

Reassembled on bike almost ready to tack weld.
stuka25.jpg

Funny I was looking at your work and techniques and was thinking this guy works like an EAA builder, then I saw your tag line. :sneaky:

PS the link didn't work for me... 404 error

I'm in the planning stages of my build, most likely a bobber, but also trying to figure out which direction I really want to go. I definitely dig your build so far. Suicide shift is something I will be doing, that's for sure. Can't wait to see the end result!

I’m enjoying watching your build. You do nice work. I couldn’t help but notice the Ford Econoline in the back ground. Is it the pickup version? I really like those. Is that another resto project in the wings?

73FECBED-A478-4AC7-ACE0-7370524859BB.jpeg
27238AD0-3E11-4024-B5A4-8E9179D2983A.jpeg

Thanks gggGary, I'm a long time EAA member and currently have two airplane projects. My biplane project got put on the back burner while I help my friend Jim build a modified Legal Eagle XL. You can see our build thread here http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24960
I see you live near Oshkosh. I attend the show for the full week every year. At the show I work for a friend of mine who builds propeller speed reduction units and firewall forward packages for the Chevy LS3 engines. It's an amazing show with lots of historical aircraft flying, I love it.

Rider_onthe_storm, thanks much for the compliment, I have put a lot of thought and effort into this project. I'm also a big fan of the Doors and they're music.
Get started on your bike, they are fun projects but do require more work than it looks. I see your from Wisconsin as well. Make sure you attend the Oshkosh airshow, you will like it

Mailman, thanks for the compliment. I bought the 64 Econoline a few years ago off of Ebay. It was built by a hotrod builder in Reno Nevada.
It has a souped up 289 with a Muncie four speed and a nine inch rear end. Stuart Warner gauges and differential braking valve. It's more rare with the four speed on the coulomb shifter. It's the short wheel base van with windows only on the back doors. I was run off the road by a lady, and now it's waiting for me to replace bent shackles and a dented aluminum wheel. I'll be on it as soon as this bike is complete. I had a blast driving it back from Reno to Dallas.

Thank you guys for the interest in my bike and other projects. I also build freeflight and R/C airplanes from scratch. I'm always building something.
You will never see me sitting around bored with nothing to do, it just can't happen. I wish I didn't have to work a full time job so I could get more done on my projects. I'm working on fixing that situation.

Last edited:
Back