Stock exhaust question?

Square Circle

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Okay.. I was afraid to ask advice on this because its probably just too simple. My double wall stock exhaust has a slight leak at the muffler to header pipe connection. I have a 79 special. Is this connection a "threaded" type? or press fit? pipes do not have connecting clamps.....And is the leak easily repairable with a new gasket? I couldn't find a thread on it in the tech section, that might include methods or tools required to gently do the repair if possible. Any help would be appreciated.. thanks

Specials had a welded one piece header/muffler set up.

maybe a PO has cut the originals off and put some aftermarket ones on. This would create a leak at the flange between the inner pipe and the vent hole on the outer.

Pamcopete has a thread that solves this problem by inserting a tube between the inner and outer pipe that extends so the muffler can clamp on.

Attachments

• xs650SF-3.jpg
    xs650SF-3.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 101
Honestly, if you're serious about your 650 and plan to keep it for some time, you need to replace the exhaust. One of (and just about the biggest) shortcomings of the stock bike is the very small headpipes. Yes, they look to be a good size from the outside but - that's a double wall header and only like 1.25" on the I.D. That really chokes things off.

Back