Strange Leak - Right Side Engine Cover

SEd27

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
The bike developed a strange leak this past week....

Had it out for about an hour and a half after work. Everything seemed fine during the ride.

Got back to the house and noticed that there was oil coming from the right side engine cover.

It appears that I actually have x3 separate leaks (see arrows in photo below):

13269B79-5DB1-447A-9BF4-E050FAA6D352.jpeg

X1 from the oil filter housing (aftermarket Heiden Tuning unit w/ Honda style paper filter)
X1 from the factory filled oil plug
X1 from the tach gear housing

I’ve got the tach drive seal and O ring on order from the local Yamaha dealership (have already replaced the copper washer for the tach retaining bolt).

Plans are to pull the right cover this weekend and inspect the mechanism, seal, gaskets, oil pump etc.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation ?

I can see x1 or two leaks, but x3 seems odd. Don’t think it is just X1 leak (could be wrong though) because the cover has plasti dip and it seem to be peeling/ failing at each separate location.

Any thoughts or suggestions what too look for once opened up would be much appreciated.

...X1 from the oil filter housing (aftermarket Heiden Tuning unit w/ Honda style paper filter)
X1 from the factory filled oil plug...

Hmmm. Those 2 are exposed to oil pump outlet pressures. If there's a serious clog or blockage in the sidefilter, those 2 zones would be the first to leak...

Thanks TwoManyXS1Bs.

Pulled the oil filter. No plastic/ metal or visible blockages (new filter on the left for comparison)

DD8604EC-FF14-4017-BD5B-7FA38419BEB9.jpeg

Pulled the filter apart to double check. Nothing....

ADF9305F-64F7-4FC3-B454-73DCAE04CBE7.jpeg

AFC918D0-9094-436B-BB19-828418F7622F.jpeg

Dropped the sump filter (no shavings on any of the magnets) and pulled right side engine cover.

404070A2-7C16-4F5A-A69F-1B25F97687F4.jpeg

It was only approx. 500km from the last oil change. Oil was darker, but not black. Visible oil passages appear clear.

Any thoughts on what to items to check next?

Perhaps the plasticoat is thick enough in those areas to prevent the parts from sealing in place.
I might suggest cleaning the coating back at these areas so the parts are sealing against clean bare metal.
If done well you will have the coating come right up to the part with out any bare metal showing.
On the factory oil passage plug you will have to remove the old plug and replace it. JB Weld will work fine. Drill out the plug to about 1/4 to 3/8 inch deep, enough to get clean bare metal around the hole, no old plug on the sides left. Leave a bit of the factory plug in the bottom of the hole. Clean the hole very well.
The cleaner the better, just think I can't get this hole too clean. Fill with JB Weld. Pressing firmly in place so it makes good contact with the hole all the way around. Don't want to miss a spot and still have a leak.
Leo

The bike developed a strange leak this past week....

Had it out for about an hour and a half after work. Everything seemed fine during the ride.

Got back to the house and noticed that there was oil coming from the right side engine cover.

It appears that I actually have x3 separate leaks (see arrows in photo below):

View attachment 147982

X1 from the oil filter housing (aftermarket Heiden Tuning unit w/ Honda style paper filter)
X1 from the factory filled oil plug
X1 from the tach gear housing

I’ve got the tach drive seal and O ring on order from the local Yamaha dealership (have already replaced the copper washer for the tach retaining bolt).

Plans are to pull the right cover this weekend and inspect the mechanism, seal, gaskets, oil pump etc.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation ?

I can see x1 or two leaks, but x3 seems odd. Don’t think it is just X1 leak (could be wrong though) because the cover has plasti dip and it seem to be peeling/ failing at each separate location.

Any thoughts or suggestions what too look for once opened up would be much appreciated.

Could be your second leak is just what gravity is doing from the tacho cable housing!!!

GeeDub

XSLeo.

The plasti dip was properly masked and all mating surfaces clear

Thanks for the tips on the fixing the plug. I have been thinking about adding an oil pressure gauge

GeeDub

At first I had thought that it could be one leak.

Upon closer inspection it looked like the oil was coming from 3 separate spots (though gravity and wind can do funny things).

While everything was opened up I replaced the tach drive O ring & seal.

The old seal was in poor shape had started to disintegrate.

Back