Strange xs650 on ebay

Well if you look close there is a 3rd tube from the headstock going under the tank. So there is triangulation there. Maybe the thought was the engine would be a stressed member and support the center since weight would make it fold towards the center. It is odd, but it might be better built than guessed.

Regardless of the design, I think he enjoyed designing and, or building that frame. Too bad it doesn't work from an engineering standpoint. My friend built a frame for a hovercraft. He never finished the project, but was pleased with that frame he built. He went on to build a metal sculptures.

Hi GB,
took my in-laws to see metal sculptures in Winnipeg Art Gallery. One was a modern art creation of open metalwork and electronic parts.
When you got near it'd play a little tune, step back and it'd go quiet. Pa-in-law kept to-ing and fro-ing to hear the tune start & stop.
Next metal sculpture was a cast bronze nude. Pa-in-law patted it's buttock, listened, and said:- "this one is broken"
Then Ma-in-law grabbed his arm and dragged him away.

Hi GB,
took my in-laws to see metal sculptures in Winnipeg Art Gallery. One was a modern art creation of open metalwork and electronic parts.
When you got near it'd play a little tune, step back and it'd go quiet. Pa-in-law kept to-ing and fro-ing to hear the tune start & stop.
Next metal sculpture was a cast bronze nude. Pa-in-law patted it's buttock, listened, and said:- "this one is broken"
Then Ma-in-law grabbed his arm and dragged him away.
We went to the Musee' d' Arte in Quebec' City. One of the exhibits was a painting of a vagina the size of a set of double doors with the orifice cut out. All these French people were sticking their heads through the hole and smiling and taking each other's pictures like they were exiting a birth canal. There was a line! We thought it was pretty much 2nd grade humor. :laughing:

Well if you look close there is a 3rd tube from the headstock going under the tank. So there is triangulation there. Maybe the thought was the engine would be a stressed member and support the center since weight would make it fold towards the center. It is odd, but it might be better built than guessed.
Yes, I thought the engine might strenghthen the frame. too, And the bike is long like a hill climber or drag bike and the seat is close to the rear axle and the tank is low to hold the front end down when you lay on the engine possibly on a breast plate or pad. But the front wheel, road tires, street bars and fender conflict with that notion. Hey, this guy could be schizophrenic.

Everything about the bike screams professionally conceived and built 70's show bike. Meant to be enjoyed visually, but was doubtless rideable. Did it shake and corner poorly? Probably, but that's not the point. Probably won lots of awards in its day and got lots of oohs and ahhs.

Everything about the bike screams professionally conceived and built 70's show bike. Meant to be enjoyed visually, but was doubtless rideable. Did it shake and corner poorly? Probably, but that's not the point. Probably won lots of awards in its day and got lots of oohs and ahhs.

Yup - I'll bet you are correct on that DogBunny.

Do you think that was built after work in someone's home garage?
Professional in the sense that it was built by people who work on vehicles for a living.
Show bikes and show cars are often labors of love or vanity projects that cost more than they are worth. Their value lies in shop promotion, reputation, bragging rights, etc.

Professional in the sense that it was built by people who work on vehicles for a living.
Show bikes and show cars are often labors of love or vanity projects that cost more than they are worth. Their value lies in shop promotion, reputation, bragging rights, etc.
I was sitting in a diner in Atlantic Highlands, one night and the parking lot had a half dozen hot rods sitting up front. The owner of the diner was sitting in front of us in another booth. He was talking to a guy sitting with him. He was talking about the cars, and how he was making money. He said," There's plenty of guys out there who just love to build and restore old cars. That's all they want to do. Once they're done, they just want to go on to the next project. They no longer want them and are willing to sell them cheap to get money to fix up the next one. That's where I come in. I give them cash and they take it. I make money. They get to build more cars and have satisfaction knowing their creations are out there on display for everyone on the road to see."

I was sitting in a diner in Atlantic Highlands, one night and the parking lot had a half dozen hot rods sitting up front. The owner of the diner was sitting in front of us in another booth. He was talking to a guy sitting with him. He was talking about the cars, and how he was making money. He said," There's plenty of guys out there who just love to build and restore old cars. That's all they want to do. Once they're done, they just want to go on to the next project. They no longer want them and are willing to sell them cheap to get money to fix up the next one. That's where I come in. I give them cash and they take it. I make money. They get to build more cars and have satisfaction knowing their creations are out there on display for everyone on the road to see."
That is a whole class of experimental aircraft builders, they serial build, wait there's a bunch like that on this forum... not me of course.

Last edited:
And when you apply "Form Follows Function" (from my first post in this thread), that opinion from John Bennett contradicts itself.

Hi solo,
consider that while all motorcycles are works of art, not all works of art are motorcycles even if they include an XS650 power unit.

Notice the untrimmed zip tie on the top motor mount, a sure sign of superior build quality and attention to detail. All it needs is a brown seat cover and some flat black rims to be a serious cafe racer.

That will never be a cafe racer and I have seen what people call a cafe racer and the old British boys who were the original racer would laugh
cafe racer are the genesis of the the modern sports bike what governs there evolution is one thing and thats was the holy grail in the 50s and 60s .. The ton ....100 MPH

Could be, dunno. Isn't the stretch look more of a thing about 10 years ago than the 70s though?

Easy Rider (the movie), came out in 1969. The first issue of Street Chopper magazine came out the same year. By 1971, if not earlier, prism gas tanks, like on the bike in question, were seen.

hist02.jpg

By 1972, the evolution of laid-out Digger-style choppers was well under way.

Back