Stripping to frame. How to remove swingarm bushings and steering bearings

Thanks for the vid On swing arm tron, that is perfect. Now what about the head. So i have what seems to be everyhthing out of the steering column except for the plates the bearings sat in. Also, shoul i bother with it at all and not put in roller bearings or tapers? And just leave it as is?

The old swing arm bushing are a pain to remove. After replacing a couple of these in past, I use this method. Take a hack saw blade and start sawing through the bushing length wise (careful not cut the metal) do this to opposite sides of the bushing. Then take a punch or thin screwdriver b/n the bushing and swing arm and tap. It should separate in two pieces.

Definitely tapered bearings in the steering head and you could do either roller or bronze bushings in the swing arm. Either would be an upgrade.

Search separately for tapered bearings and swing arm bushing removal there are good to great threads on both.

THANKS GUYS! got both out today!, the cut on the swing arm bushings worked like a charm, one i got one out i used a socket and an extension to abuse the opposite side... then the races on the neck came out easy as pie with a punch and hammer

I had to deal with the swingarm bushings a couple of days ago... For some reason, heating them with a torch didn't seem to do much for mine. Soaking them in PB blaster for a day helped a lot... And then the big hammer.

Also, if you are going to be putting in the new brass swingarm bushings, I highly recommend freezing them for a couple of hours beforehand beforehand. I took them both out of the freezer at the same time, and the first one went in easy... the 2nd which had thawed a bit was kind of a pain.

Deft

Back