Structural integrity

WindLvr

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am getting prepared to have my 78 frame hardtailed. I am wondering if there is a difference between the straight style and the loop style. Does one style provide more strength, or is it all looks? I am a bigger man, and I want to make sure the frame is done the strongest way possible. I want the bike to sit low and be long. I am thinking of at least a 4-6 inch stretch, but not sure how much drop.

I have the time to wait to have it done correctly, and the money as well. It's going to take me quite some time to do the engine rebuild, rephase, 750 big bore kit. Not to mention all the cleaning it needs. It's going to take a while!

Anyways, any frame builders out there want to chime in and talk about the integrity of doing the hardtail, and which style is best for a big guy like myself???

Cheers,

Mike

The Bird hardtails come with gussets for both the backbone and the lower rails where the tail welds up. It also retains the factory lower crossmember, which in my opinion makes for a stronger setup.

yamaha-xs650-hardtail-install-step-8.jpg

yamaha-xs650-hardtail-install-step-9.jpg

http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/index...ch_yamaha-xs650-hardtail-install-instructions

I had to add gussets to my TC hardtail, but these things are probably why it's $219.

5804208039_14885b3ef0.jpg

5804208287_51cc58a62d.jpg

I see how that could be stronger for sure. How about the axle plate setups? Is there an advantage to the hoop and the plate welded to the rear of it? Or is it better to be welded between the two rails coming back? I noticed both styles from Bird. Living in Pennsylvania this XS is gonna take some abuse from the roads. You can only miss so many potholes before you nail one good one! Thanks for the info so far!

mike
as far as the loop end vs the straight end its all whatever look you want. they are both strong. the axle plates are flush with the inside of the tubing and makes a perfect joint for welding it up. i hope this helps. dave

Yes that helps a great deal Dave, thank you.

So another question. Does the length of stretch make the frame weaker? I would like to stretch it like 6 inches, but don't want to sacrifice strength. I also need to find a reputable company to weld my frame together.

Okay...So is there anyone near Erie,PA that can do a professional hardtail with a David Bird looped hardtail kit? I am willing to travel a little ways, but not too far. PM if you can do the work. Thanks!!!

Back