Stubborn Seals? Try a Fork Seal Press

QWERTYMage

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Thought I would throw this on the forum.

I was replacing my seals on my forks ('76 34mm) and trashed 2 sets with no luck. Tried everything (seals in freezer. BFH. Heated up lowers in boiling water. Grease.). No luck.

So I decided to make a long bearing press. It worked like a charm 1st try.

Ingredients: 3/8 long thread (about 20 inches precut.) Multipack of nuts and washers to fit thread. 2-3 large washers that match the OD of the seals closely. I lock washer( on the axle end of the long thread to keep the nuts from unthreading). 1 section of flat bar (1 inch wide. 1/4 inch thick.)

I drilled out three holes in the flatbar using the endcap as a template. holes drilled are 1/2 inch wide. This allows the flatbar to sit over the fork studs as shown. The otjer fork doesn't need the flatbar to work, but i left it on and it was fine.

Set it all up. Seals were in the freezer to help a little bit. a smear of red grease to make things slip.

easy peasy.

I would suggest gluing the big washers together to make it center a bit easier than loose (the way I did it.) The only complicationswas having to realign the washers after a few twists.

No more hammering that expensive fork lower again.

Attachments

• IMG_0051[1].jpg
    IMG_0051[1].jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_0050[1].jpg
    IMG_0050[1].jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_0048.jpg
    IMG_0048.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 253
Cool idea! Now if I can just remember it. you should post this in the homemade tools thread.

Hi, I gave this a go! worked much better than other options I have tried, but I was wondering how you kept the seal from being pressed in unevenly? Every time I try it, one side goes in faster than the other. Thanks for you time!

Are the 34MM ones notoriously harder than the 35MM ones? I only ask because for my 35MM ones, I checked the old wheel bearings which I had ground down with a grinder and used to drive the new wheel bearings in and it was a perfect fit. That and a rubber mallet and I had them in the lowers in about 20 seconds.

I normally just use a big @ss socket and a hammer. But put the threaded rod through the socket snug the nut tap the high side down snug the nut again, repeat it'll go in and end up straight.
PS grease the Od of the seal and Yamaha recomends lithium grease packed under and in the (seal) lips.

Back