tbsteinborn

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
In shop class this year I decided on building a motorcycle. After shopping around here in Michigan I came up with a 1973 xs650 engine. The engine has great compression and looks to be in running condition. The motor is now in the frame but I have absolutely no electrical parts. I've looked around but I cant quite get what I need. All I need to know is what is needed to start it, ill worry abut the lights later. The motor also came with an electric start. Any help will be greatly appreciated, Thank you.

You'll need a pair of coils, condenser pack, battery and a switch to shut it off. As long as the engine has points installed, that will be enough to start it. If you want the electric start to work, you'll also need a push button switch and a starter solenoid.
Start a thread on the project and put lots of pics up. We love pics;) Good luck.

Indeed!

Now, if you want to make an actual running and riding bike, the easiest way would be to simply buy a wiring harness and used ones can usually be bought inexpensively on the Forum or they are available new and are surprisingly cheap (like $60) - check out MikesXS. (www.mikesXS.com).

Welcome and ask-away and you shall receive lots of help.

Pete

In shop class this year I decided on building a motorcycle. After shopping around here in Michigan I came up with a 1973 xs650 engine. The engine has great compression and looks to be in running condition. The motor is now in the frame but I have absolutely no electrical parts. I've looked around but I cant quite get what I need. All I need to know is what is needed to start it, ill worry abut the lights later. The motor also came with an electric start. Any help will be greatly appreciated, Thank you.

Hi tbsteinborn and welcome,
you have an engine & frame but, apart from the missing electrical parts, do you have the rest of the bike?
Like they said, photos would help.

this_thread_is_worthless_without_pi.gif

Give clues, get help....
engines often have some of the electric inside.
Welcome aboard.

Always a good idea to give a good explanation of what you are hoping the final result of the project will be.

If you are just looking to get this bike to run and move under it's own power to play around in the back fields on the farm that is one thing!

Now if you are looking to get this bike licenced to be able to ride on public highways that would involve quite a bit more.

Lastly if you are looking to do a major restoration to put it back to like new condition that would take a real commitment, or end up getting you committed!

There are many different levels of each of those three examples I just gave and if you are willing to make the effort there are people on this forum who can offer advice for any of the various levels you may be interested in pursuing. And yes you will make mistakes and ask "dumb" questions but if willing to listen and learn the knowledge is here.

Did anyone mention we like pictures? You will probably get advice on how to take and post good pictures too so don't worry about the first few not being perfect!

Back