Stuck brake cam shaft am i doing this correctly?

Uglies

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi I have a brake cam shaft that wont move it seems to be stuck , so i took the brake shoes, springs and the hub with the cam shaft still in it and soaking it in carb and parts cleaner. Is this the proper way to get the brake cam shaft to work again or is there aother method i should be using?

Thanks in advance.

You need to take it all apart. I hope you're not soaking the brake shoes and everything, the complete still assembled brake. Take the shoes and springs off. Then you can soak just the backing plate with the cam shaft stuck in it. You will probably need to tap the shaft out. Here's some info on the overhaul procedure. See post #3 .....

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25632

You need to take it all apart. I hope you're not soaking the brake shoes and everything, the complete still assembled brake. Take the shoes and springs off. Then you can soak just the backing plate with the cam shaft stuck in it. You will probably need to tap the shaft out. Here's some info on the overhaul procedure. See post #3 .....

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25632

Thank You i am ordering new brake shoes .

Really no need to soak anything in solvent. Take the shoes and springs out, this can be done as a whole unit, no need to wrestle with or needlessly stretch the springs. Brake cam and shaft comes out for cleaning with a brush and rag, there's a felt seal there to keep the dirt out, brush the loose stuff off of the backing plate and parts, doing this with a brake cleaner keeps the harmful dust down. Reassemble with high temp wheel bearing grease on the shaft, cam, opposite pivot points, grease the felt seal and hooks on the springs. Keep this grease away from the brake linings. Also grease the shaft at the foot pedal, some have zerks, some don't, better to disassemble and clean before greasing whether there is a zerk or not.

Scott

Back