Stuck cases

Hobbes

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Splitting cases for the first time, and it seems like they're really stuck together. Looked through all the existing threads on this, and it seems like everyone was able to separate them with a few whacks of a rubber mallet, but mine won't budge.

I have all 14 nuts and the 4 bolts removed. Is there anything that I could be missing?

I have seen some people recommend a heat gun, has that been necessary for anyone else? Don't want to go out and get one if I'm not sure it's going to do the trick.

Yep, cases can be a little stubborn to separate, congratulations on taking it slow and easy and resisting the temptation to go neolithic on 'em. Different strokes will have worked for different folks, but I've always managed to get the cases to start separating by going around them with a hammer and a a chunk of wood for a drift. Once they open a bit I hang the motor upside down off the edge of the bench with the cylinder studs supported on blocks stacked from the floor, use wood carpenter's shims to gently push the lower case half up until it clears the dowels, then lift it free.

A heat gun would be a good investment I'm sure you'd use more if you had it. I've gotten away from using an open flame on just about anything. My heat gun seems to work just as well for freeing stuck, rusted, or "glued" parts. Obviously it gets things hot enough.

Back