Stuck Mixture screw

tbone1980

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have a 1982 with the stock bs34's on it. When cleaning the carbs the first time I noticed that one of the mixture screws on one side had a stripped head. After not touching the screw after multiple cleaning I eventually said I had to do something about it especially after I switched to pod filters with a new exhaust and needed to make adjustments. After letting it sit in blaster solution and trying to use an extraction bit with no luck I ended up having to drill out the thing. After drilling out the middle of the screw I still had a small amount of brass or what every it is let in the threads of the hole it screws into. Does any one know what size tap I can use to clean out the threads?

I guess that is what I will have to do. I was hoping someone knew the correct size so that I could make sure the tap and die set I get has the correct size in it.

You could take the other screw to a friendly machine shop or good fastener specialty shop and they could tell you the size and pitch of the tap to use.

The best way to get those stuck mix screws out might be use a cylindrical burr on a Dremel to cut a new screwdriver slot.

Back