stupid helmet tricks

happydaze

John
Reaction score
After years of owning a used helmet with peeling silver paint, I broke down today and spent about $500 on a new SHOEI RF-1200.

On the way home, on the subway, I started pulling at the peeling paint on the old helmet, and found out that it came off very easily, and in pretty large pieces, and that underneath the silver it was a shiny white helmet. The only place I didn't peel the paint was the top vent because it was not peeling there. I should have done this years ago.

So, now I either have a spare helmet, or I can sell the brand new one (the store had signs everywhere saying no returns). But, here's a pic of the old one. Looks pretty good I think!

Nolan-N100-helmet.jpg

You also want to consider how the helmet has been stored, high temperature, hari oil, been dropped, etc. The consensus is to replace every five years. My last Shoei I did at six and it was ready. Quote from SNELL

"Why should you replace your helmet every five years?

The five-year replacement recommendation is based on a consensus by both helmet manufacturers and the Snell Foundation. Glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production can affect liner materials. Hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics, as well as normal "wear and tear" all contribute to helmet degradation. Petroleum based products present in cleaners, paints, fuels and other commonly encountered materials may also degrade materials used in many helmets possibly degrading performance. Additionally, experience indicates there will be a noticeable improvement in the protective characteristic of helmets over a five-year period due to advances in materials, designs, production methods and the standards. Thus, the recommendation for five-year helmet replacement is a judgment call stemming from a prudent safety philosophy. "

This is also interesting for other thoughts

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/helmet-replacment-after-5-years-why.780904/

Thanks. All good thoughts. I'm a casual rider who takes the bike out on the occasional sunny Sunday afternoon. I always store my helmet indoors, not in the garage, so it is not subject to any chemicals or extreme temperatures.

I agree that the "rule" is very subjective and probably written by the same people who said you need to change the oil in your car every 3,000 miles. Again, conditions from one driver to another are different and they are in the business of selling oil.

Also, the argument that a newer helmet will be made with better materials and processes suggests that your old helmet was never as good as a new helmet, even when it was brand new.

I thought about this last night though, and what I plan to do is keep the new helmet and put the old one on ebay. There's probably somebody out there looking for an inexpensive helmet for whatever reason. I really don't need a spare helmet and it would just be taking up space. I do think that the new helmet is better constructed. I'm not a big fan of the flip-up helmets because I think they are less sturdy, and they tend to be heavier.

Also keep in mind that the interior pads can be replaced. So, as long as the shell is not damaged, the idea that you have to throw away your helmet because of things like sweat and hair oil seems like somebody is just trying to sell you a new helmet.

Back