Sudden short in the ignition

NorazDad

NorazDad
Reaction score
So, I posted my three system failures and I received some very helpful feedback. Thanks.
There is only one electrical system failure and it is in the ignition system. I am not saying it is in the ignition (pamco), I am saying a fuse that is part of the red/white circuit is blowing upon switching to run. I re connected the wires in the switch, still blows. Lights work. Turn signals work. Horn works. Brake lights work. Headlight works. Newly reinstalled permanent volt meter works and does not set off the ignition circuit fuse.
How do I trace this short? And why could it have just suddenly appeared after such many miles?
Jump in boys
I need help!

Where is that 7.5 ignition fuse located? follow the red wire from the fuse. the pamco wires are small/thin (easily crushed or nicked?) is there a grommet where they exit the LH cam cover? Look for shorts is my best advice.

I found my short. The wires in the pamco were somehow twisted and touching. They look like they need to be resoldered.
I will work on communicating with pamco Pete
Hope he's not in Florida
IMG_4428.JPG

Working on re soldering these wires. Not really my expertise, but what can a guy do? I will need an new pamco that works with the E advance.
What are my options for acquiring one. I know with this storm, there are bound to be delays. I just need to know what unit I need and where is the best place to buy it.
Be safe, Florida and East coast.

Ok, the saga is over. All systems are go. I simply took my time and re soldered the red, blk, and green wires onto the pamco sensor. It was not easy and it is not pretty, but all three wires are attached and none of them touch each other. Now if I have an ignition failure, I'll know where to look.
I am definitely in the market for a spare pamco sensor and an advancer(the knob on the right side of the cam that receives the two register pins).
If any members have either to spare, please PM me.
In the meantime, the thing I love about this bike is that it is a finite system. There are only really a few things going on. There's an electrical system that charges a battery and distributes juice to lights, ignition, etc. There is a power train which is fueled by atomized gas and air lit up by the ignition system. And then there is transference of power via gears, sprockets, chain and wheels and a braking system to stop said transference. And the last and for some the least, there is suspension. And that is for the hard tail folks something of it's own ilk. And the cool thing is that one only needs to trouble shoot any problem in the system and fix it...unless it is catastrophic, but then one must just replace that system.
And when riding down the road and one can see, hear and feel all of those systems working together and telling you how they are doing, that brings enormous joy to me and I assume to you all as well.
So this riding season I cut my loop, built a rack, re laced my rear wheel from a 16" to an 18", sheared an exhaust valve and blew the top end whereby I installed new jug and pistons, cam chain, valves and oil seals, re soldered my pamco sensor and replaced plug wires.
Not bad from a guy three years ago who couldn't figure out how to make the turn signals work. Thanks Leo.
Peace to all affected by Irma. Stay safe
Rob

You might check the rotor depth. I had one that rubbed through the insulation on the red wire causing it to short/spark. IIRC I just loosened the nut a little. I thought about using a thin flat washer to step it away from the end of the shaft.

Back