Suddenly no spark

trance

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Was riding today and the bike started running rough. Couple minutes later it died completely, and wouldn't start again. Checked and I have no spark at all.

Bike is 82. Stock system. I'm getting 12.3 volts to both wires that go to the coil.

No points. TCI.

Where do I start testing to see if its the coil. The TCI or the pick up?

The factory manual gives the troubleshooting sequence, follow it to eliminate everything BUT the TCI as the problem.

And cause I am nice guy here's a link to a download open the G SG supplement it has the TCI how to.

Thanks gggary.

Today, it started right up. No problems.

WTF is happening.??? Only thing I did was to charge the battery, but it was making good power 14.2 volts before it died???

Sounds like an intermittent bad connection. I would go over all the wiring, looking for anything loose. Most often a ground.
All grounds need a clean bare metal to clean bare metal connections. Any paint, powder coat, dirt, rust will cause a bad ground.
Leo

Trance,

The '82 model has a little gift from Ralph Nader so you can't start the engine and hurt yourself. It's the sidestand safety switch which operates a relay under the left side filter cover that disables the TCI if the side stand is down. Reach under the left side filter cover and rip that sucker out and throw it in the trash. No jumpering required.

Thanks pamcopete but I have built my own wiring harness. No problems that are visible but will check all connections and continuity. Are there any parts that fail when voltage is low? Or fail intermittently?

Ignitions in general don't like low voltage, the TCI is even more particular about voltage.
Even just a volt or two low can make the TCI behave poorly.
Leo

You should remove the TCI unit and open it up. Look for anything obvious, such as blackened or burned components..................some lads have even found water inside the TCI unit.

Guys, due to various personal reasons I haven't been able to do jack-sh*t about this problem until now. I want to do the various trouble shooting steps outlined in the manual:

http://www.biker.net/650_service/650_svc_gsg.PDF

However, on page 171, the last step is:

"Check pick-up
coils for resistance
Pick-up coil:
700R +/- 20%"

what does the "R" stand for? Is it ohms? I've never seen that abbreviation before.

Also, I assume my problem *might* be the magnet in the rotor, correct?

right now, I can start the bike any time, it will run for about 20 seconds and die. The next day, same thing. It's winter, so no real rush, but I'd like to get it on the road ASAP.

700 ohms is the spec so I guess that's what they mean by R or resistance.

weak or too much spacing from magnet is possible.

The too much spacing thing is rare unless stator isn't seated properly or an aftermarket rotor was used.

OK. I'm finally back. I had to back burner the xs because I moved to another state, fixing up a new house, new job, all that real life cr*p. Then the winter from h*ll set in.

Today it was warm, so I fixed it.

The problem was a capacitor with a broken lead inside the TCI.

I soldered it back on and all is good.

EXCEPT - this cap is still floppy - the leads are a bit weak - and I expect the XS will vibrate it off again. I'm wondering if I can hot melt glue it down to the circuit board or something. ??

OR: are there new TCIs to replace the old one? I seem to recall that someone was reverse engineering them? Cuz I'm probably gonna need one soon.

Replace the cap? hot melt or a bit of silicone as anti vibe.
No new direct replacement for a complete TCI you would have to use a complete electronic conversion like a Pamco. Or find another used TCI. Where is it mounted? The factory TCI mount was to the bottom of the battery box which is rubber mounted and has the battery's weight to damp vibrations, that location wasn't an accident.

Thanks ggggary. TCI is mounted in my electronics box, which has a bit of rubber mount but really everything vibrates like crazy on this thing.

Maybe I should reverse engineer it LOL

Back