Suggested oil for 1973 TX650

TwinLewi

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Good day,
Just got my first XS650! Family owned bike! I imported it from the States to Australia! Oil and fuel was drained for shipping purposes. Australia has a very dry and warm climate. Looking for suggestions on what weight oil is recommended. Brand? High Viscosity important? I was thinking 10w/30 SAE MS
Thanks for your time,
Lewi

Attachments

• 487EAE89-2AC2-417F-AC7D-54BF91C1071B.jpeg
    487EAE89-2AC2-417F-AC7D-54BF91C1071B.jpeg
    296.8 KB · Views: 151
20/40 or 20/50 wt. I use Castrol Motorcycle oil because it is easily found at local auto parts stores.
Nice 73TX ! Get to know it :)

Thanks Machine. Appreciate it.
Thanks Jim. I grew up racing motocross. This is my first street bike. Have to start somewhere. Who believes everything you read online anyway?
Thought this forum was to share the love and be apart of a community. Glad I am not from England.

It’s good to change oil often enough because of the two “strainer” mesh filters that an expensive, long lasting engine oil is just overkill.
And, this online site is THE PLACE to get real good info and advice !
Use the “search” function in the “garage” area .. ENJOY

Welcome TwinLewi
I have been running Penrite 20-60 Diesel in my bike for 4 years now no issues. It is labelled 20-50 but gives you the extra 10 to make it 20-60w.
Wait for Supa Cheap Auto sales and get a 20ltr drum. I got 40ltrs for about $60 dollars last Xmas and use it for the XS and my 48 Sportster.

Most any oil that is at least 20w40 with a wet clutch rating will work.
Lighter oils such as 10w30 have oil modifiers in the mix. These are not wet clutch compatible.
The modifiers cling the clutch plates and cause slippage. Once they saturate the fibers of the plates you get to replace them.
Leo

Yes, the original spec for these was 20W-40 but the only place that sold it was the Yamaha shop, lol. Most everyone switched to the more readily available 20W-50 and that's the accepted norm now. Some like that 15W-40 diesel oil but I tried it and wasn't crazy about it. The thinner weight makes the topend noisier. I guess it lubes things just fine, just makes more noise. I switched back to the 50. And as briefly mentioned, no need for the expensive high mileage oil, you don't want to keep it in there that long. Change it often, like every 1000 to 1500 miles, and clean the filters at every oil change, at least for the first 5 to 10K miles you have the bike. It took me like 6 to 8K miles on mine before the filters started to come out relatively clean. It took that long to flush out all the accumulated gunk from the past. Many of these never got frequent enough oil changes and filter cleanings.

Most any oil that is at least 20w40 with a wet clutch rating will work.
Lighter oils such as 10w30 have oil modifiers in the mix. These are not wet clutch compatible.
The modifiers cling the clutch plates and cause slippage. Once they saturate the fibers of the plates you get to replace them.
Leo
Yea I agree with the light weight ouls. Clutch is in great shape and plan to kee that way.

Yes, the original spec for these was 20W-40 but the only place that sold it was the Yamaha shop, lol. Most everyone switched to the more readily available 20W-50 and that's the accepted norm now. Some like that 15W-40 diesel oil but I tried it and wasn't crazy about it. The thinner weight makes the topend noisier. I guess it lubes things just fine, just makes more noise. I switched back to the 50. And as briefly mentioned, no need for the expensive high mileage oil, you don't want to keep it in there that long. Change it often, like every 1000 to 1500 miles, and clean the filters at every oil change, at least for the first 5 to 10K miles you have the bike. It took me like 6 to 8K miles on mine before the filters started to come out relatively clean. It took that long to flush out all the accumulated gunk from the past. Many of these never got frequent enough oil changes and filter cleanings.
Interesting. I have not tried the diesel oil yet. Some seem yo like it. I just moved from the States to Australia. It is hard to find SAE oil. Every shop sells synthetic. Every person trys to tell you its better. Until you say I have a old motorcycle and it doesn’t like it. They call SAE oil “Mineral oil” and I have seen a 15w-40 as well as a 15w-50. I believe frequent oil changes are a must. What fo you guys use to clean out the filters? Gas? Or a natural cleaner/ dawn soap?

Welcome Downunder TwinLewi! Time to ride 11 months of the year down here unless you from a warmer state in the US.
I just use spray can degreaser to clean the filters and rinse in hot water blow dry done. I have a spare bottom plate and filter now all ready to go to save time.
I spent a lot of time working out the oils down here and the Penrite 20-50/60 Diesel seemed to be spot on so far.

For filter cleaning, use a solvent of some sort. I use kerosene, cheap and easier on the hands than gas of some other strong solvents. I soak mine over night usually. I have a parts cleaning can with a dip basket in it hanging from a crank on top. I can spin and agitate the basket and the stuff in it, which I do. I like this cleaning method because it finally dawned on me a couple years ago that I wasn't cleaning the inside of the filter, just the outside. Hopefully this soaking and agitating will get it all clean.

For filter cleaning, use a solvent of some sort. I use kerosene, cheap and easier on the hands than gas of some other strong solvents. I soak mine over night usually. I have a parts cleaning can with a dip basket in it hanging from a crank on top. I can spin and agitate the basket and the stuff in it, which I do. I like this cleaning method because it finally dawned on me a couple years ago that I wasn't cleaning the inside of the filter, just the outside. Hopefully this soaking and agitating will get it all clean.
Okay. I figured there would be some kinda cleaner out there. Sounds similar to cleaning the air filter on the dirt bike. Awesome info and I appreciate all the help.

Welcome Downunder TwinLewi! Time to ride 11 months of the year down here unless you from a warmer state in the US.
I just use spray can degreaser to clean the filters and rinse in hot water blow dry done. I have a spare bottom plate and filter now all ready to go to save time.
I spent a lot of time working out the oils down here and the Penrite 20-50/60 Diesel seemed to be spot on so far.
Thanks for the nice welcome brother. Very excited to be here in Lot’s of riding all year long. It is winter and I still have my shorts on. Hahah

I use mineral spirits as a general purpose shop cleaner in spritz bottles Called Stoddard solvent in Australia?

Stoddard solvent is a type of mineral spirits. Mineral spirits (U.S.) or white spirits (U.K.), also known as mineral turpentine, turpentine substitute, petroleum spirits, solvent naphtha (petroleum), varsol, or, generically, "paint thinner", is a petroleum-derived common organic solvent.

Back