Suggestion/ideas on footpeg bracket bushings

Purplezinger

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Several 650's I've owned have had issues with the rubber bushings in the footpeg brackets. The bushings in this new 84 are trash as well. I'm interested in what solutions other folks come up with?

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 88
You could always weld the hole closed then drill them back open to accommodate the studs. I cut down the stock brackets to use as peg mounts on my bobber.

Kent

SDC12269.jpg

The problems with rubber are twofold.

The first is aging-- they simply get old and crack. Exposure to oxygen and sunlight causes rubber to fall apart.

The second is oil and other petro-based chemicals. Exposure to petro-chemicals also kills rubber.

I once had control over a fleet of Ford wreckers with Twin I Beam Suspensions. This suspension system was great for pick-up trucks but lousy for wreckers. I converted some to straight axle front suspensions but it was a big job and the necessary parts were all used and getting hard to find. (And usually in need of kingpin bushings.) These trucks were old, always had a few leaks, were too often overloaded, operated 24/7 and needed new control arm bushings about every 2 months. I eventually found neoprene bushings that were guaranteed for life. The cost was about 10 times the cost of the rubber bushings but I stuck my neck out and replaced every one in the fleet with the neoprene bushings. The stock rubber bushings weren't very expensive but it took a couple of hours per truck to replace them.

Of course, the boss went nuts when he learned what I had just paid for new bushings but 3 years later he was telling all his buddies in the wrecker biz how he had solved his bushing problem forever.

Now if we could find someone willing to make neoprene bushings for our XSs....

Of course, the boss went nuts when he learned what I had just paid for new bushings but 3 years later he was telling all his buddies in the wrecker biz how he had solved his bushing problem forever.....

falls under the "no good deed goes unpunished" section

jsut realized this....just finished welding on some old kawi pegs, and you rite, the rubber is weak. Filling the holes and redrilling seems solid....too solid.

Now if we could find someone willing to make neoprene bushings for our XSs....

Id' be surprised if the replacements aren't neoprene. If they aren't you could get neoprene stoppers (lab supply store if no place else) and whittle them into bushings.

Id' be surprised if the replacements aren't neoprene. If they aren't you could get neoprene stoppers (lab supply store if no place else) and whittle them into bushings.

I haven't bought replacements for the footpegs but none of the other bushings I've bought were neoprene.

Back