Suggestions for wider mirrors...

madmax-im

Yamaha...Go your own way...
Top Contributor
Reaction score
The mirrors on the Special Two look nice but i cannot get an unobstructed rear view without tucking my arm(s) out of the way..No matter how I try to adjust their position,so I would like to know what mirrors or extensions could give me a clean rearview?

I got these and they work great. Have them on my 650 and
BF6663D5-FE50-4A62-809E-FD0942E998E5.jpeg
Triumph 800. I got the from Revzila or J & P.

Thats interestting..I was thinking along the lines of longer mirror stalks made by Yamaha..earlier models have 1 left hand side mirror and the stalk is pretty long but its only one side..unknown to me if 2 leftys would work as a right and left pair...?

A 79F stock mirror set on standard bars as been the best set I’ve experienced for view, height, and the black plastic cone shapes seemed very stable in the wind.
-RT

Attachments

• 3A366AAB-74A6-4AFF-A45E-DDE228D0E98C.jpeg
    3A366AAB-74A6-4AFF-A45E-DDE228D0E98C.jpeg
    209.8 KB · Views: 69
LFT and RT cannot be switched.
However matching post extensions can be made on a lathe out of an old Yamaha mirror stalk set.
-RT

A 79F stock mirror set on standard bars as been the best set I’ve experienced for view, height, and the black plastic cone shapes seemed very stable in the wind.
-RT
Bingo! Thats exactly what i would like..now to find a set....the only thing is that my bars are nowhere near stock....still should be an improvement over what i have now..
Thanks...

LFT and RT cannot be switched.
However matching post extensions can be made on a lathe out of an old Yamaha mirror stalk set.
-RT
Didnt think so..If i were a machinist then i could possibly go that route...

Last edited:
Yes, those are Very nice. I have a set of those originals for my 78E because they look so classic. I do believe they shake slightly more than the 79F mirrors

Yes, those are Very nice. I have a set of those originals for my 78E because they look so classic. I do believe they shake slightly more than the 79F mirrors
I'm uncertain what 'those' is..the originals or the repopped ones???

I’m actually uncertain of “those” too :lmao:
My set is unknown vintage,(made in Japan) both RT hand thread. My RT side post is both lowered and filled and tapped for that mirror. LFT side is raised slightly with a spacer. Long thread lengths allowed this mod to “level” out the mirrors Left height and Right height. It worked out well . No pics yet. The bike is tight against the back wall waiting for this evenings progress on the whole front end.
-R:cool:

Last edited:
I got tired of seeing my arms and elbows and switched to bar ends. Never went back.
As a bonus you also get a bar end weight to reduce vibration. Maybe not as heavy as some weights, but some, and maybe better than none.

Last edited:
Bar End mirrors, “Napoleon” if found are perhaps the best for low sporty bars such as Euro bend. They do really give a wide rear view but take a wide corner to park as well.

Attachments

• AEA97B24-F246-421A-A3B5-C46A5DF2C556.jpeg
    AEA97B24-F246-421A-A3B5-C46A5DF2C556.jpeg
    254.1 KB · Views: 84
I run those too but, in black. So the sunlight can't reflect of them and blind me. Yes they can be wide but, they can be temporarily repositioned inward. Or the mirrors and be rotated vertically for a while.

:lmao::laugh2::geek::D Uncertain but those look to be close to the same length i have...I like the '79 mirrors better.. Thankyou though...

I wasn't suggesting that you use those particular mirrors max I was showing you them because they are reversable mirrors and can be used either side .
you mentioned that you had 2x same side mirrors I think ?... What I was suggesting was that with a thread reversal adaptor maybe you could use your 2x same side mirrors
s-l1600 (4).jpg
? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1X-1-pai...012689&hash=item4202f975d1:g:ISwAAOSwy2tdBV4y

I wasn't suggesting that you use those particular mirrors max I was showing you them because they are reversable mirrors and can be used either side .
you mentioned that you had 2x same side mirrors I think ?... What I was suggesting was that with a thread reversal adaptor maybe you could use your 2x same side mirrorsView attachment 150918 ? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1X-1-pai...012689&hash=item4202f975d1:g:ISwAAOSwy2tdBV4y
Ah ha..Thankyou for the clarifiication..it isnt easy to always understand what one means when speaking on an online forum...and i have my obtuse moments as well...

Its really annoying not to be able to see behind you isn't it . I'm lucky because I use the stock special mirrors together with the special bars so I get an excellent view . I did try the bar end mirrors for a while as I thought the stock mirrors on the hi rise bars looked a bit Yeehaw but I could never see anything in them and they continually vibrated loose so I binned them.

have you found a solution yet ?:)

I run those adapters like Peanut showed there. You can get them on eBay pretty cheap and that opens up a lot more choices for mirrors.

Back