Sumotrack

Thanks! I've got to paint the number plate before I say it's done, but that is just a detail. It has been an interesting experience building this bike. I really understand why some parts cost what they do, others I am amazed at the mark-up. But the biggest thing with finishing a build like this is understanding why so many end up unfinished, basketcases on craigslist.

No kidding. If I couldn't have machined my own parts this bike would have easily cost double or triple what it did. Mill, lathe, tube bender and welder all got a workout. So did the scrap bin at work. Those together are what cut the cost down and I still have about 4k in this bike.

Another question about those lovely bars ... were you able to use standard cables? I don't have the kit to make up cables so I'm looking for tracker bars that I can still use OEM cables on. Not sure how wide I can go!
I use cheap EMGO "Tracker" bars from Parts Unlimited on my 78 Special tracker replica and all oem control cables work fine!

Thanks guys! Don't worry, I have the major parts for another build in my garage.
I`ve watched this build from the start and what a great job! I started my No Theme Build to use up all the parts I had left over from the last 3 builds but now I`ve bought 2 more XS`s to finish my current build so I`ll have plenty of parts to start yet another build. There`s no end in sight is there??

No, it never ends. I've Atleast managed to work on one project to the end, it's taken effort to not drag home another when one isn't done yet. I used to be horrible about it.

Well I painted the number plate, but I feel like it needs something more.

Attachments

• 20180725_155248.jpg
    20180725_155248.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 279
Lol, well that is the thing. What number should I do? Should I do it black like the stripe, or gold leaf? Or should I do a logo on it? It's unfortunately not as simple as just slapping a numer on.

I'd vote for the frame color outlined by the tank color.

The number plate is painted the tank color.

If I could get paint mixed to match the frame color, that would be nice, then it could be outlined with the black pearl that I used for the tank stripe. The frame was powder coated, so it would be a custom mix paint.

I'm debating a number or logo. I'll have to look and see if there is a common number I can avoid, like 01 is probably overdone. Maybe I could do 78 since the bike is a 1978.

68 is probably the least used number in history.

Fantastic work! I hope you don't mind me picking your brain for my next build. I've been wanting to MS one of these motors forever.

Getting it running on the MS wasn't that bad. If you have room for an external pump it would be much simpler. But if you have any questions ask away.

Some new pictures now that I've been riding more. Had a few charging issues, mostly the stator rubbing the flywheel, then once I fixed that a stator overheated and died. Now I'm running a sh775 regulator, it runs series instead of shunt which noticeably reduces heat by the stator cover.

Attachments

• 20180822_164106.jpg
    20180822_164106.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 343
  • 20180822_164142.jpg
    20180822_164142.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 357
  • 20180822_164154.jpg
    20180822_164154.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 330
Here let me fill in or refresh a couple details.
78 XS, engine was rephased and bored 2nd over. Running a microsquirt ECU, has a 36-1 trigger wheel in place of the advance mechanism, gsxr600 ITBs respaced with cbr1100xx injectors, custom velocity stacks, intank sportster pump with er6 fuel pressure regulator.
2012 zx6 big piston forks, modified cb550 hub with ducati rotor, fzr400rr 3tj swingarm, kz750b rear hub, 2015 r6 shock, dt400 tank, both wheels are 17".

ratrangers bike.jpg

Back