Sumotrack

Thank you! I'd wanted to build a bike from the ground up for a while. I did a few mods on other bikes, but it was all bolt in or kind of hacked. Now that I know how to machine parts and have access to machines I was able to build what I wanted. I'm very happy other people like what I made, and anyone who wants to give EFI a try can ask anything they need and I'll do my best to answer or show how I did it.

Well haven't posted in this thread in a long while. But work has been done with a little more to go.

The transmission was swapped for a "new" one. Undercut on the engagement surfaces for 1st, and the xs750 3rd and 5th for larger dogs.
While the motor was out swapped in the XS1 cam, which meant finishing the rephase on it. Getting it degreed in, have to adjust the sprocket 7.5* as it is 15* retarded currently.

Then the motor can go back in, and I'm setting up a bigger idle control valve as the VW purge valve just doesn't move enough air to get really good cold starts.

Attachments

• 20190419_131051.jpg
    20190419_131051.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 242
  • 20190420_094152.jpg
    20190420_094152.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 237
  • 20190421_130138.jpg
    20190421_130138.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 213
I just found this and it is crazy how similar your build is to mine. Doing a rephased motor with the speedster pipes, rear monoshock conversion and front fork replacement with dual discs. Mine's all in a hundred pieces now but slowly coming along. Anyway that's a great looking bike. Nice work!

Thanks! I've basically been working on it for 2 years and am finally to the point where it's only tuning left.

The great thing is despite similarities the end products will be unique. Just take a look at halfmile's no theme build. Champion seat, monoshock, but looks completely different.

Jack, I don't really have any questions at the moment. I've just been reading your thread about the Dport and contemplating getting a spare head to try it.

As for life with EFI? Ask me again in a month or so. When I took it in for dyno tuning a wristpin circlip failed, took out the right cylinder jamming the rings and gouging the wall. It still made 45hp with the damage. I was saving up for a 700 kit from Hoos, and ended up moving halfway across the US. So now I'm settled in OK, working on setting up my tools in the garage and was finally able to buy the kit from Hoos.

Hoos gets my reccomendation, I mailed a cylinder to him and it was headed back to me in about a week, vapor blasted and bored with shiny new JE pistons.

I have to move a dresser into the house, then I can move the lathe and horizontal mill. And once that's all arranged I'll have room to reassemble the XS and put in the high ratio primary gears from Ivan Hoey.
20200613_172031_HDR.jpg
20200613_175502.jpg
20200613_172138_HDR.jpg

Back