super hard kick start

jeepguy,
If you question the function take the plugs out to kick it through.
Should tell you if it is compression or something binding.

I grew up on dirt bikes, so kicking over big singles was the norm. Once you have the technique down, you can kick over any bike no problem. I always find it hilarious when I find all these videos on youtube of guys kick starting bikes like its some great achievement.

I use this new-fangled contraption called an electric starter on my Xs650. Works perfect every time. Never get thrown over the handlebars. No more sore knees (I'm old and my knees are shot). Since I freshened the engine I haven't had to kick start the bike one time. Maybe you should try one. :)

I'm not sure why some of us old people say "with my bad knees I need an electric start". My 66 year old knees aren't in the best of shape but since I've got mine dialed in there is no strain on my knees. This ain't no knucklehead/panhead/flathead/gimmehead Harley. Even cold it's one or two kicks (ain't really kicks, more like run the motor through with the kickstarter) with the ignition off, then with it on put pressure on the kicker til it gives resistance, stop, then ease it on down. Boom! It's runnin'. Nothin' to it. 'Course gettin' to this point has required some younger help but still.....................

Pregrid,
I don't know about your "old knees", but I haven't had a cartiladge in my left knee since I was 14, that was 45 years ago, and I'm getting ready to see an orthopedic surgeon about my right knee. Mine really are worn out, but I'm not going to let it keep me from riding.
DLD1

I use this new-fangled contraption called an electric starter on my Xs650. Works perfect every time.

C'mon, every time? I guess that's why we never see posts about starter bendix problems or bikes that won't start when the battery is slightly discharged.

Electric start has advantages over kick start, but it also has more parts that can break.

I guess I've just been lucky. I literally have not had to kick start the bike once yet. Knock on wood!

DLD1

Pregrid,
I don't know about your "old knees", but I haven't had a cartiladge in my left knee since I was 14, that was 45 years ago, and I'm getting ready to see an orthopedic surgeon about my right knee. Mine really are worn out, but I'm not going to let it keep me from riding.
DLD1

Are those your initials? (DLD), cause they're mine too:yikes:

Pregrid, my initials are actually D.A.L. DLD was the name of my business, David Layne Designs, from 1991-1996. You're in Fremont, we should try to meet up sometime, I live in Tracy, work in Livermore. PM me and we can exchange emails if you'd like.

DLD1

Occasionally, I'm digging through the forum and find one of these chains that's worth following to the end just for the comedy! Even if it's 5 years old it's all still applicable with bikes this old! LOL! Saving a hooker.... I have a story and some inept experience to add.

My buddy had his cut, chopped, bored, rephased, pamco(ed), destartered, etc. and had me by when he first got it back. He tried and I tried to kick that thing many many tries! Only I ever got it once and we both busted our knees on kick backs. We're both over 240lbs. He ended up putting the starter back on and the starter can't kick it over either so it takes a press of the starter button AND a kick to get it going! What a PITA after spending that much on a custom bike, but such is the way of these things.

For my part, I've just gotten my 82 on the road after decades and initial starts are a problem. It's amazing the character differences from one of these nearly identical machines to the next, but you all point them out all the time. Kicking it first is pointless. 5 or 6 kicks and I'm tired and it's still not running. Compression is rock hard cuz the bike only has 6k miles on it. Gotta be about like new. Likewise, hitting the starter will likely drain the battery before firing. BUT, pumping it with the starter a couple times THEN kicking it fires it right up!

So I think the moral of the story combined with the advice from above is (at least for my bike's character) a couple rolls with the starter with the choke on then kick it.

That said, while the starting circuit (choke) does give me a boost when it's cold, and I see the idle change when I cut it off, I'm not at all convinced my starting jet is clear in one of the carb bowls. I worked hours on it with cleaner, air, and fine wire, but I'm afraid I may have to go back in there... I'm trying new plugs first (it's actually running pretty well on the originals) so wish me luck!

These XS650 engines are very easy to start using the electric starter. Anyone that says they have to use the kick starter, means either they don't have the engine tuned correctly (mixture wrong, choke not working, etc.) or their charging system is not keeping the battery fully charged so they always have a weak battery.

Of course modern cars/trucks don't have a hand crank starter (kick starter equivalent), but lets say that your present day car/truck does have a hand crank. Now if your car/truck engine does not start with the electric starter, are you going to just use the hand crank everyday?? Think about it........................you and 3 or 4 of your work mates walk out from the office/plant after a hard days work. All the other lads get in their cars, that start immediately, and drive off. You get out the hand crank and crank the engine by hand:yikes:!
Ridiculous right...........................if you wouldn't do that with a car, why would you put up with kick starting a motorcycle??

Over the years, I've heard many lads say they have to kick start the engine when the engine is cold, because the electric starter just can't do it. All that means to me, is that they don't know how to tune/repair their engine.

Think about it........................you and 3 or 4 of your work mates walk out from the office/plant after a hard days work. All the other lads get in their cars, that start immediately, and drive off. You get out the hand crank and crank the engine by hand:yikes:!
Ridiculous right...........................if you wouldn't do that with a car, why would you put up with kick starting a motorcycle??

It's funny you mention that because it is actually one of the reasons why I like kick starting my bike. I see everybody get out of work and get in their cars with a look of dread. They all want to be home but none of them are looking forward to the drive home. How many smiling faces do you see behind the wheel during rush hour? When I come out after a long day at work, kick starting my bike literally puts a smile on my face. There is a great sense of satisfaction because I built it, I tuned it, and I STARTED it. It's kind of a primal man-vs-machine thing. Riding this bike is a joy and it all starts with the kicker.

Electric start is easy but has an electric starter ever made you happy? Can happiness ever be found in "stuff" that makes life "easy"?

These XS650 engines are very easy to start using the electric starter. Anyone that says they have to use the kick starter, means either they don't have the engine tuned correctly (mixture wrong, choke not working, etc.) or their charging system is not keeping the battery fully charged so they always have a weak battery. - - -
Over the years, I've heard many lads say they have to kick start the engine when the engine is cold, because the electric starter just can't do it. All that means to me, is that they don't know how to tune/repair their engine.

Hi RG,
I bought my '84 Heritage Special from a Winnipeg Yamaha dealer in '86 still with zero miles on it.
(does that mean the battery was 2 years old or does the dealer install a fresh one when they do the prep work?)
But when I first got the bike it wouldn't fire until I took my thumb OFF the e-start button.
What I reckoned was that when the e-starter was cranking that stiff new engine it sucked the battery's voltage down too far to work the TCI unit.

These XS650 engines are very easy to start using the electric starter. Anyone that says they have to use the kick starter, means either they don't have the engine tuned correctly (mixture wrong, choke not working, etc.) or their charging system is not keeping the battery fully charged so they always have a weak battery.

Of course modern cars/trucks don't have a hand crank starter (kick starter equivalent), but lets say that your present day car/truck does have a hand crank. Now if your car/truck engine does not start with the electric starter, are you going to just use the hand crank everyday?? Think about it........................you and 3 or 4 of your work mates walk out from the office/plant after a hard days work. All the other lads get in their cars, that start immediately, and drive off. You get out the hand crank and crank the engine by hand:yikes:!

Never claimed to.That's why I'm here ;-)

Think it's really satisfying, nostalgic to kick it. Takes me back to my first rides on my old Suzuki TC125

Back