Surge and stall

dts66

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So I’ve got the bike up and running and aside from a monumental vibration my trips around the block have come up with a strange occurrence. The engine will surge like it’s geting a boost of throttle a few times and then dies. Investigation shows its blown the main fuse. I’m stuck for ideas as to what it might be.
61ACDACE-6881-44D9-A184-1DDEEEA591ED.jpeg

looking good DTS66!
Throttle cable routing, then start looking for an electrical short. That's all I got.

I’m liking your bike dts66,
I’ll add to Gary’s suggestion about checking the throttle cable routing. I would also check to make sure the cable has at least a little slack in it. On my recent XS2 build, I installed the cables with absolutely no free play and when I would turn the handlebars it would rev the motor. Just adding a little free play fixed it.
I’ve had that same revving issue with improperly routed cables.

Maybe it's just a coincidence the fuse is blowing as well as the cable being routed wrong..........Then again if it is the cable causing the over reving then i would be looking for the fuse problem as well..........that could, and most likely be another issue.........Cable could be pulling, (or rubbed), on some wiring to make it short out

Back