suspect black smoke but not burning oil?

volcom8877

reckless and relentless
Reaction score
ok so i just pulled my carbs and done a complete tear down following the carb guide step by step got everything apart and it was bad. Its and 81 with 34's and unifilters and i think that around the year they were last cleaned to i pulled about 3 tea spoons of dirt out of the bowls. Anyway's i put them back together following the carb guide again put new gaskets and plugs in it it fired right up BUT! along with that came a mess of black smoke out the exaust and then fowled out the plugs.. What Did I Do Wrong. the plugs are black that means to rich right?? All i know is it never smoked be for so now i kind a little worried what up with the carbs.

Any help would be awesome
thanks.

It's smoking from both sides?

Check to see that the jets are stock size and the float is the right height. If you had the mix screw out, check that all the parts are back in right and that it's out a couple of turns from seated, to start with. After that it shouldn't be running rich enough to smoke. The float setting is critical. It can cause smoke if it's off just a couple of mm. Likewise, if your inlet needles or their o-rings are leaking it could also cause very rich. I wouldn't run it smoking like that.

Yes, fuel level can be inspected with carbs in place by using a sight tube--thought you'd read the Carb Guide?

so my float level is right and the same on both sides. could it be with the pilot jet or mix screw? the black smoke is not coming out near as bad but its still there and my plugs still look like black soot covered

^You could turn the mix screw in some and see what it does. Reading your first post carefully, I think a likely thing is a leaking inlet valve, from the dirt that was in there, or a leaking o-ring. The tube method, there's some debate over how accurate it is. gggggggggggggGary and I were getting ready to see if 22mm = the pictured mark on the bowl, but abandoned it. At any rate the tube method requires a lot of care - if you lower the tube and then raise it to read, it will read high, because there's no good place for the fuel the tube loaded up to go. I can't think of a real good way to test for leaking inlet needle valves. If you leave it on prime and your air cleaners immediately fill with gas, that would be a good test :) They're fairly cheap to replace. Mike's has good ones.

ok so my fault on this. the carbs were tunned when i bought the bike and they were missing the rubber plugs the cover the pilot jet i got the plugs and after cleaning and reassemble i put them in but never changed the way the jets were from be for with out the plugs so maybe i need to lean out the pilot jet and mix screw so it takes away how rich its running? just a guess but im going to try it just to make sure because the o-rings are in good shape and is the inlet the little hole below the floats in the bowl?

^what I'm calling the inlet is the needle that hooks over the float, and its seat. I don't like to call it a needle because it sounds like the main jet needle.

I would just bite the bullet and take them apart and do what I said in my first post, and make sure the plug is present, since you bring that up.

If it was me I would order new inlet valves and seats and do it all at once. It has to fix it, unless somebody has enlarged some holes somewhere.

So the tang on my flots was bent up to high. The float level was good but the bent tang made it rich as hell but leveled them out and got nice smoke rings on the plugs again and running smooth through all rpm's
Posted via Mobile

Back