Suzuki GR650 - thread closed.

bosco659

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I may be too late but there’s a 1984 GR650 Suzuki for sale not too far from me. I’m interested in it as it’s in nice shape (as seen in pictures) and the price is attractive. Anyone have any intel on these bikes - good or bad. Seems like Suzuki’s distant cousin to the XS. I’ve quickly read up on the bike and it sounds ok. Any first hand experiences with this ride?

I only have some german stuff, but you can use the translator. On the site you will find infos about a bunch of old Japanese classics.

What you can't find in the header (e.g. "XS650") can be found using the search function.

Last edited:
The problem points mentioned on the linked website:

"The GR 650 also has a few weaknesses:

As with many of the twins in the GSX and GS series, the operational electrical components with Lima and regulator/rectifier are a critical point. Due to contact corrosion occurring on the right handlebar switch for the parking light/driving light, the alternator (connection of the 3rd phase) is overloaded due to the high contact resistance, after which the controller/rectifier “says goodbye” and in the end the battery is also “in the field”.

The gear pairs of the 3rd gear often suffered from material breakouts, so-called pittings, due to a lack of surface quality. However, this was remedied during the model update at the end of the construction period. The last weak point was the membrane in the fuel tap. As she grew older, she became incontinent and unintentionally released fuel into the carburetors."

Cycle World back in the day gave it a good review.
https://magazine.cycleworld.com/art...0-for-14000-miles-a-good-and-faithful-servant

1707517125569.png

1707517207786.png

Thanks for the comments and info. I haven’t heard back from the seller yet, so I don’t know if it’s available to go and see tomorrow. Part of me hopes he sells it tonight so I don’t have to make a decision tomorrow. Lol

From what I’ve researched and the intel above, it may be an ok bike. This particular bike looks like it needs very little to be able to certify and ride. I have found that support from groups is quite weak since the bike was only produced for 4 years. That also throws up a warning flag for parts availability.

I’ll post an update tomorrow if I’m able to see the bike.

I actually was in the progress of buying one. Back then
Had some money in the Pocket Well payed job

Was at the dealer Wanted to close the deal and got to hear the most stupid answer I ever have heard in my life.
Still remember it

I was pointing at the price sign -- Cash money No trade + Leathers and helmet
What can you do on the Price Would have been a quick slam dunk deal

He started rapping about

" Noeee Nooee No we cannot adjust the price Word would spread and then everyone
will ask for lover price "

I dont think they sold any motorcycles without financing and
payment plan.
I told him that --- If I recall right it was $ 1300 --1500 or so.
It is some money for most people and you are not prepared to discuss the deal --- Not a red Cent
He was not prepared to discus airing up the tires properly

I would have bought it with a minor price reduction But got so Angry Turned around and bought a Used XS 650 instead
Dont regret it

Early eighties Suzuki's had charging problems at times Be careful checking that -- So it looks OK
Regulator could fry in a manner that the Alternator went full charge and fried also
Expensive repairs Dont know specifically for this model

Part of me hopes he sells it tonight so I don’t have to make a decision tomorrow.
Yep, I know that feeling damn well too 😂

I have found that support from groups is quite weak since the bike was only produced for 4 years. That also throws up a warning flag for parts availability.
This is indeed a big problem. Compared to that, the XS650 is a true paradise. You can't think of that often enough ; )

Last edited:
Done a quick search for GR 650 over on GS resources. Quite a lot of discussion revolving around them.

Best to join up as the site is a bit strange if your not a member the pages load up from oldest to newest and bottom to top. backwards.

A quick read is some parts from other Suzy models swap in, but still it is rare on cosmetics.

Back