Swapped Handlebars, Now She Runs Rough

82xsHeritage

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just swapped out my bullhorns for a some powder-coated bars from Zombie Performance, and now the bike is missing real bad. I have filed and sanded down all of the points of grounding from the controls to the bars. I have also taken the controls apart and made sure I didn't pull apart any wiring. It is all still solidly attached. I don't know what the issue could be. It might be worth noting that I was replacing a few other parts when I did the handlebars, so I had not started the bike in a couple weeks. None of the other parts affect the engine operation, though.

Any ideas on what else I should check out? I'm going to replace the plugs tonight to see if that helps.

Thanks in advance

I would replace the spark plugs at the first sign of the bike running rough...
have you replaced the fuze box in the bike or is it the stock one with the glass fuzes ? the reason I ask is the contacts brake on the glass fuzes and give an intermittent supply of power to the ignition system ( which is very hard on the TCI unit) and make for a rough running bike ...
Bob.........

I still have the stock glass fuses. The connections seems good, but maybe I should just go ahead and swap to a pronged fuse box. Could I pick up the parts for a swap of the fuse box at auto zone?

LOL ...Yah Marty ! that's what it sounds like.....
I think so, the one at autozone can only handle 15 amps though and according to guys on here that have used then they have not had a problem with them at all .... Personally I think they just added the 15 amp per fuse slot Max warning in the fine print to C.Y.A. ( cover your ass)
the one I almost bought was $12.95 at autozone a 4 stall fuse box with blade connectors... I wish I had bought it now ! LOL
I'm not saying that that is positively the problem, but it's a good place to start as it needs to be done anyway.
Bob......

The bullhorns are never going back on lol. I just swapped the plugs and it did the trick. I guess when they sat for those couple weeks it was the straw that broke the camel's back. I also picked up a blade-style fuse box from Autozone. I didn't see the 15amp limit, but I'll check it out. Seems to be a nice little kit at a glance. I'm just glad I got her running right again!

ok so it was plugs !
....it's strange but 4 out of 5 plugs straight from the box can be bad !!!!!! .....
Bob,.......

the 15 amp limit was on the fine print on the back ....I had my wife read it to me as I didn't have my reading glasses with me ! LOL ...getting old SUX !!!!!
Bob.........

When people talk about replacing bars and making sure that there is bare metal between the controls and the bars......they never mention making sure that there is bare metal between the clamps/risers and the bars.

Scott

Always look to the last thing you did, but at the same time remember that coincidences do happen... The other day I was talking on my land line and I dropped the receiver on the floor, Next thing I know the phone isn't working. Then happened to notice the line between the pole and the house was broken and laying in the street....

When people talk about replacing bars and making sure that there is bare metal between the controls and the bars......they never mention making sure that there is bare metal between the clamps/risers and the bars.

Scott
The risers are insulated from the triple tree so there is no need to insure contact between the bars and the risers. In any event, the triple tree gets a very unreliable ground through the bearings. The only real ground to the handle bars is from a ground wire that goes to the horn button on the left side and then through the bars to the start button on the right side, so that is why you must ensure good contact for both controls to the bars.
It gets worse. If you do somehow manage to get the ground through the bearings, they may be damaged by current flow, especially when you blow the horn.

Some have a ground wire attached to the bottom of a riser, so to continue to the switches the riser would have to have continuity to the bars.

Back