Swapping out handlebars

Jake03

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Just picked up this beauty.

I want to change out the handlebars so that it looks like the earlier models with the flat handlebars. Has anyone ever changed out handlebars or know how to do it?

Thanks guys.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 426
Thanks a ton man, I'm gonna give it a go once I find some new handlebars.

Also the spokes are ugly as hell, are those a challenge to replace?

I haven't done it. I have the mag wheels, but I think that one is pretty tricky because you have to true them. I'm sure lots of people do it though just type it in the google search box on the top left and you will get a lot of topics on it.

Oops didn't look at your picture. You have the mag wheels. I painted mine all black I think it looks pretty cool but there are spoked wheels out there. Check the classifieds here or ebay/craigslist.

Ok and one more thing. Is it easy to change the seat? i want a flat seat instead of this one that raises in the back.

More importantly I should say is it easy to find the right seat.

There are some companies I think that make pans that fit into the stock seat mounts. Most people just cut it all off the frame and make/buy a custom mount to attach whatever they want. Mikesxs.com has a system they use for their seats.

I'm no guru though. Hopefully someone else will chime in if I'm steering you in the wrong direction. I just had swapped bars recently and it was easy.

Sounds like you want a earlier 70-79 Standard model. I actually really like my 80 special with those buck horn handlebars, I found them real comfortable.

Anyway, if your going to switch to shorter bars your going to have a lot of slack with the cables and hoses. Wiring loops easy enough in the bucket, but you'll have to get creative with the throttle, clutch, and brake hose or you'll have some pretty big loops popping out. Shorter cables and hoses from anything 76-79 will work.

As for the wheels, that rear mag has a disk brake. Other spoke wheels will swap out, but only those mags had the disk. You would also have to swap out the swing arm and some brake parts too to go with spoke wheels. The front will be a direct swap.

There's a lot of seats out there. You might be able to get the look your going for by getting an earlier seat cover, and shaping the the foam down. That way you don't have to cut any tabs off your frame.

Comfortable? You must be built differently than me. Felt like my elbows were tight to my ribs and wrist bent out. I hate the mini apes.

The XS650 used Buckhorn bars not Mini Apes.
The Buckhorns come almost straight back from the last bend.
Mini Apes are pointed more straight out, more like the early standard bars just with a lot more rise.
I converted the Buckhorns on my 81 to Mini Apes. Much nicer.
Leo

Back