Swapping rear 16 inch with 18 or 19

critic

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have a 16" rear wheel with drum brakes on my 83 special. Its my understanding I can swap this out with an 18" with drum brakes as well, direct swap. Is there any adverse effects to handling if i do this? I dont care so much about straight line stability (which I believe my 16" 130/90/16 tire currently helps with) as much as cornering and the fact I think the 18" would look better.

bike in question
full

I have a 16" rear wheel with drum brakes on my 83 special. Its my understanding I can swap this out with an 18" with drum brakes as well, direct swap. Is there any adverse effects to handling if i do this? I dont care so much about straight line stability (which I believe my 16" 130/90/16 tire currently helps with) as much as cornering and the fact I think the 18" would look better.

Hi critic,
yeah, I agree that wire wheels look better than cast wheels.
Or does your US model '83 Special have those (to me anyway) aesthetically unpleasing chrome rim megaspoke wire wheels?
Thing is, if you have tubeless-rated cast wheels you are back to running tubes if you swap to wire wheels.
And it's a chore to keep wire wheels clean.
That said, swapping whatever wheels your bike has now for a nice condition pair of '76-ish deep groove aluminum rim wire wheels will for sure upgrade it's appearance. And yes, it's a simple straight swapover, everything interchanges.
When I did that exact swap on mine I noticed that I'd improved it's cornering ability in exchange for a little less straight line stability.
The ODs of a 130/90-16 tire and a 110/90-18 tire are sufficiently close that you won't notice the rpm vs speed change.

yea the 18" rear will be a straight swap over.

Your 48 Spoke front and 64 Spoke rear are getting collectable for the chopper crowd so a swap for a set of 47-79 Standard wheels with the alloy W/Mud-catcher type rims will work.

If you can find an 80SG seat, (one off one models seat), the different profile sits better for a cafe style without any changes and way more comfortable to ride

Hi critic,
just noticed you added a photo to post #1.
And yeah, it has megaspoke wire wheels.
Also that there ain't no fenders. The front fender was also the bike's fork brace.
If your aesthetic sense insists on the bike being fenderless you should fit a TKAT or other fork brace to lessen the flexy-fork ride you'll get otherwise.

I didn't notice the forks lowered buy sliding them through the trees when i looked at your album. That is the reason for the front guard missing and a Tkat fork brace is going to run into the same problem.

If you are going to lower the forks do so with a spacer, Shortens the travel and the front Guard/brace wont hit the triple tree

Great, thanks for yalls help. Ill try and add the original fender back on (i might chop it so it isnt so long) but that way there is some sort of structural support.

The swap is very easy, and in my opinion, very worthwhile. I did the same swap to get better look and the ride was so much better, quicker in turns..I would also recommend an inch longer rear shock...which will bring up the rear just a tad to really help it's cornering. You'll not find an 18" rim with the Heritage Special rims you have, so probably best to swap both front/rear to match.

You can look through my album to see what the stance does for appearance.

Doesn't Mike's sell an 18 rim and spokes so you can lace an 18 rim to your hub. I think they used to anyway.
Leo

Yes, it's item #34-1906 It's 2.15 wide alloy rim without the flanges like the early years had. Uses #19-0064 spoke set.
On sale at $29.91
They also have a matching 1.85x19 front rim. That's a bit more, $50.91
Leo

Hi, I too am replacing the 16 inch rear rim with the 18 inch size on my '83 XS650 Heritage Special. In doing research I saw that over the years some XS's were equipped with a 16 in rim but others came out of the factory with an 18 inch rim. On the spec sheet the 18 inch rear tire for the XS is always listed as being 4.00 - 18. Is this the only tire that will fit within the swing arm or are there others in addition? tx

Hi, I too am replacing the 16 inch rear rim with the 18 inch size on my '83 XS650 Heritage Special. In doing research I saw that over the years some XS's were equipped with a 16 in rim but others came out of the factory with an 18 inch rim. On the spec sheet the 18 inch rear tire for the XS is always listed as being 4.00 - 18. Is this the only tire that will fit within the swing arm or are there others in addition? tx

Hi rob,
see post#2.
110/90-18 is the nearest metric-designated tire to 400-18. A fatter but just about the same OD 120/60-18 may also fit.
As will anything smaller but most likely that's not the direction you want to go in, eh?

Yes, it's item #34-1906 It's 2.15 wide alloy rim without the flanges like the early years had. Uses #19-0064 spoke set.
On sale at $29.91
They also have a matching 1.85x19 front rim. That's a bit more, $50.91
Leo
Looks like this
Doesn't Mike's sell an 18 rim and spokes so you can lace an 18 rim to your hub. I think they used to anyway.
Leo

It looks like this

Attachments

• 14Apr2016_1.jpg
    14Apr2016_1.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 344
I've tried both the 110 and 120/18 rears and prefer the 110. The 120 slows down the steering.

Don’t cut those spokes on that 16 I’ve got a 18 I’d rather have a 16 if you decide to sell it let me know what you want

How does the insert for the brake look looks as if there is some surface rust I’m really looking for one that has no rust

Back