Swing arm assembly

krob

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anybody have a diagram of the swing arm assembly? I have a thin washer in my bag of swing arm parts and I am unsure where it goes. Thanks for the help

Does anybody have a diagram of the swing arm assembly? I have a thin washer in my bag of swing arm parts and I am unsure where it goes. Thanks for the help
What motorcycle do you have?

https://www.shopyamaha.com/parts-catalog/parts/street-mcy#/Yamaha/XS650SK_-_1983/REAR_ARM-SUSPENSION
This is the 1983 XS650SK.

Thanks for the help jetmech marty. I actually found a diagram on boats.net. Turns out it is a shim and there is one on both sides. I either lost one or the PO did. I cant find it anywhere. Hopefully the hardware store has something.

Boats.net was asking what seams to be a ridiculous price for one of those little buggers. Around 7.50 if I remember correctly. Is it a hardened shim or is there a different reason for the unusual high price?

Yes, it is a shim but it was used "as needed". You may not have had one on both sides. Most of these swingarm assemblies don't even have them. When assembled, the pivot tube that fits in the bushings should be very slightly longer than the swingarm/bushing assembly. If it's too long, these shims are added, as many as needed. As I said, most have none, some only one.

5twins that is excellent information. I take it that it doesn't matter what side the shim goes on? The shim just has to compensate for the extra length of the tube?

Yes, it wouldn't matter what side it's on. The shim fits into the grease seal. It's I.D. is big enough to go around the pivot sleeve. It doesn't fit against it. If you're renovating the swingarm and installing new bronze bushings, you may not need the shim anymore. In fact many have encountered problems with the new bushings being too thick. They may need a bit of sanding on the ends to get the pivot tube to stick out. Another problem that crops up is if you replace the pivot tube. Many of the new replacements are shorter.

Thanks 5twins. I took it apart to inspect and clean it but the original bushings seem to be in good shape. All other parts seem to have been greased regularly and are in good shape surprisingly enough. Ill check the fitment of the tube and decide if I need the bushing or not.

Thanks again 5twins

Yes, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the original plastic bushings if they're in good shape, and if you keep them greased they should stay that way. I have good originals in the swingarm I'm using and it's been fine for 10 years now.

Back