Swing Arm Length?

rod1

rod1
Reaction score
How long can I go with my swing arm length? I would like to go 6 to 8 inches. Will this work ok? Has any one tried to go this long?
Thanks Rod1

I did 4.5 and had to work around a few issues. Are you keeping working suspension and how? It is a swingarm, I would guess so or else it might be a stiffarm? Plan on bracing it, maybe using box tubing. One problem that snuck in on me was I lowered the bike too and the chain slings up and grinds at the swingarm attach tube. It also smacks the tire. Plan on using a tensioner device to minimize the chain excess play.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MotoCasa?feature=watch#p/u/16/wEnqIsS02ys

Hi Two Jugs, thanks for the reply, I just watched your swing arm mod on you tube. You did a great job. Looks like a nice project you have there!

I want to do something close to what you are doing 1979 XS650. My idea is to have the seat down low between the engine and the rear tire. After looking at your pics I think 4 - 6 inches of swing arm stretch will work fine. I want to have the seat on top of the two braces that come back from the main frame. I will go to a monoshock or something like that, so I will not need as much strength at the rear to support two rear shocks. Your project looks great. Nice pics, thanks!:thumbsup:

I added a few more pic's yesterday. Have a look, things are coming along very nicely. My seat is going to be around the height of where the backbone turns down. My controls are going to be in the stock location for now. But I have long legs and I my need to add forward controls, but that really isn't the look I am going for.

Take lots of pics and keep us posted on your progress. I must have close to 200 photos saved on my iPhone which I will use to create a log after I am done.

Best of luck on your project.

Kevin

I have done a lot of 4 to 8" arms but you got to remember the shock height.If you do 6" you need longer shocks or move the shock mount but that tens to look bad. On a xs 650 i would just do 4" and buy a kit from visimpact for bike they look really good. If you go to a 6" or longer you are going to have to put brace on it because there is a chance that welds can crack. Out of over 100 i have done in the last 35 plus years i had two crack. If you also want a nicer look with low seat go to square tube just like a drag bike much stronger and you can go mono shock. MORE work nicer look.

If you extend your swing arm make sure you sleeve the inside with solid bar or pipe.. leave a slight gap so you tie in your swing arm to the sleeve when welded. trust me if you dont it will crack fast just like DADDYG said..he has 2 cracks that I KNOW OF.. you can find visual impact on the sub forum xsotm .. his bike is Wicked Soul

Back