Swing arm with R6 monoshock

JRay77

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Im not sure what direction to take here or why this isn't working. Will it work? Trying to do this setup without the loop to monoshock setup. I want just an open wheel look. Thanks in advance for any advice/opinions.

The swingarm would need to be braced. They aren't rigid enough to have the shock all the way up front. Plus the shock would need a different spring, possibly revalved to feel right. The r6 shock is set up for a 2:1 ratio, 2 inches of wheel travel is 1 inch of shock travel.
Simplest is use a swingarm and linkage designed for a mono shock, and just build an upper mount. Or figure out how much bracing you need, and be ready for new spring on the shock.

I'm using an fzr400rr swingarm, a US spec fzr400 swingarm would be skinnier and not as bulky.

Attachments

• tmp_15473-20170904_114004215181456.jpg
    tmp_15473-20170904_114004215181456.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 294
The swingarm would need to be braced. They aren't rigid enough to have the shock all the way up front. Plus the shock would need a different spring, possibly revalved to feel right. The r6 shock is set up for a 2:1 ratio, 2 inches of wheel travel is 1 inch of shock travel.
Simplest is use a swingarm and linkage designed for a mono shock, and just build an upper mount. Or figure out how much bracing you need, and be ready for new spring on the shock.

I'm using an fzr400rr swingarm, a US spec fzr400 swingarm would be skinnier and not as bulky.
Right on! Yeah, knowing I have something wonky with this setup. Angles, spring rates, ratios, etc...What if, I use an air bag? Still a lot of pressure on the base of that stock swing arm. Actually while welding a bottom mounting bracket, I blew thru that old Jap steel. Haha!

I have seen pictures of bikes with unbraced monoshock conversions, but they are few and far between and even fewer have pictures of a bike that isn't stationary. Search google or dotheton to see what others have done. There is an XS on dotheton with bracing under the swingarm and a linkage to run a shock infront of the engine. http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=65940.msg755671#msg755671 There is a whole bunch of info out there, you just have to find it.

Back