Swing Arm

Wally

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Some help Please

Did I see some were here a list of swing arms that bolt to a XS frame???????

Haven't seen one, but I'd be interested if there was a list.

Posted via Mobile

- i think the swingarm mount is 200mm wide

- XT,TT,SR500
- XJ550?
- PE250-400?
- RM250-400?

- ive used an XJ600 which needed shimming as it was slightly narrower
- also SRX600 which needed narrowing 2.5mm? each side to fit

- im told, but have never looked into it, that some of the early katana swing arms are also easily modified to fit...some are steel box, others alu - if i remember right most are mono-shock so would need mounts added :shrug:

What's the deal with that swingarm being so sexy? I mean, it doesn't look like it's leaps and bounds better than the stock one...?

- box section for strength
- alu is much lighter
- being for an SR500 tho its about 50mm shorter and will have 17mm axle slots
- bringing it into the states will cost you customs tax
- several mates of mine have been running these on their SR500s for some time now here and they do look good...theyre a pretty good copy of the trouthunter swingarms that were available stateside some time back

I e-mailed Motolana and here is the info for their SR500 swingarm onto XS650 conversion. Theirs is beautiful. I want it bad!

On the XS650 the main issues are that you have to change the bearings on your rear wheel to 17mm to fit the SR axle. Alternatively, you could machine the swingarm to take the XS650 axle. You also may have to modify the wheel spacers and or the brake hanger to fit whatever option you're going for. You will need to use the inner sleeve and end caps from an SR pivot (as the XS650 has plastic bearings).

I recently had one person tell me that he had clearance issues with the passenger footpegs on his 650 Roadster. He resolved this with the use of a hydraulic jack to spread them apart.

If you are using a Yamaha rear disc brake, you would need to add a mounting for the caliper arm atop the right spar. With the drum brake, the mounting is on the underside of the spar.

Better late than never I guess.
If you are putting the TX750 swingarm on a special frame you will have to flatten the tang on the brake pivot (a press works well) and grind some on the left rear peg mount. Your spring for the brake switch is going to rub the inside of the frame no biggee. If using the TX's chain guard you will have to remove metal some on the front of shock hole (because the specials shocks lean forward more). Also if using the TX's chain guard and you don't have the elusive rubber block (#15 in 5twins pic in the linked thread) a
3/4" piece of welding hose (gas or oxy side color don't matter size is the same) works well.

I put a TX750 swingarm in my '82 SJ and of course the TX750 chainguard interfered with the shocks. Rather than cut the TX chainguard shock hole, I mounted a Special chainguard by trimming off the TX swingarm front and side brackets, locating where a nut would have to be welded into the TX swingarm to take the front mounting bolt for the Special chainguard, drilling a hole at that spot big enough to hold an inverted 5mm flange nut, and having the nut TIG welded in the hole. You need to have a 650 swingarm available to measure how far in the new hole center should be on the TX750 swingarm - on mine, measuring with a square held tight to 650 swingarm tube, it was 1 31/32" - then add another 1/8" to compensate for the larger diameter of the TX swingarm tube. Just bolt the chainguard to the rear mount to find the right fore-and aft location for the new hole center. Just another way to do it - looks "factory".

RZ350 will work-about the same length, too. Have to weld on shock mounts, or use the monoshock on the xs-woiuldn;t be hard to do.

You can search for radian to xs swaps, there's been dozens on the different boards.

I have some RZ swingarms if anyone want to try it.

John

There is a thread where I got the information to mono shock my bike. I'll have to look for it. Basically, with the use of some spacers a 01 yz125 swing arm will bolt on for a mono shock application. The shock dog bone mounts will have to be fabricated.

Back