swingarm pivot bolt?

doubletrouble

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just read on a website that stated the swingarm pivot bolt had failed at the threaded end and actually broke off(more than once). I just installed the bronze bushings and had never heard about any bolt problems. Has anyone ever heard about this or swapped out the bolt for a different type? Everything seemed fine with mine.
Also, what about the torque rating the pivot bolt nut? There was no number in my manual.

Any input will be grately appreciated!!

Thanks,
DT

Torque spec is 47 ftlbs. I've seen swingarm pivot bolts fail, but not often. Dwayne Burge's theory is that the problem isn't caused so much by the pivot bolt itself as by flex at the pivots in the frame applying torsion to the bolt, so that the cure is bracing the pivots; makes sense to me.

- ive heard this about pivot point flex too, it is possible, wether it is specific to a particular version of the xs frames is not clear...there are 3 different frames with the earlier being more susceptible to flexing...nevertheless there are replacement bolts, apparently one from an early GS1000 fits if you reshape the head

I have an 81' H. Overall there doesn't seem to be too much talk or info about this problem. I take it-it can happen but its not a wide spread problem. I guess I'll leave it as is for now. thanks!

Back