Swingarm Problem

BowlingSS

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
My 72 I am working on has a swing arm problem. When I tighten the nut the swingarm will not move. Anyone had this problem before? I did notice that the nut was not tight when I remove the shaft. I have never had one tight before.
Thanks guys. Bill

The swing arm axle is often neglected and un-greased causing them to seize up in the swing arm. Loosening the nut you allow it pivot in the frame. You need to tear your swing arm out and replace the bushings.

Last edited:
Another thing that could cause the swingarm to bind up like that is if the pivot tube is too short. It should be very slightly longer (like .010") than the width of the swingarm with the bushings installed.

My 72 I am working on has a swing arm problem. When I tighten the nut the swingarm will not move. Anyone had this problem before? I did notice that the nut was not tight when I remove the shaft. I have never had one tight before.
Thanks guys. Bill
Hi Bill,
BTDT.
like they said:- First, tear it all down and clean it all up.
Bronze bushings are a good upgrade although I had to file down the bush flange faces to get the proper side-play.
I also added a grease nipple to the swingarm's cross-tube for easier lubrication.
On re-assembly make sure that when the through-bolt is tightened to keep the pivot sleeve from turning
in the bike's frame the swingarm has from 0.002" to 0.010" side-play.

Back