Swingarm thickness

wannabridin

XS650 Guru
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone knew the aproximate thickness if the flat section on top of a stock swingarm. Looking at a possibe fender mount and was wondering if I should just drill and tap, or use a rivnut/nutsert.

I'm leaning towards nutsert, but if it's too thick, then I'll drill and tap. Thanks a bunch!

If stock suspension fender floats with frame . Mounting to swing arm for a fender strut may cause you some problems. Got some more info on what you are trying to do?

Hi wannabridin,
going for a hugger, eh? A nice look if it's done right.
most likely the flat area on the swingarm is no thicker than 12ga.
But me, I'd drill thru tapdrill size to see. Too thin to take a thread? Re-drill for nutserts.

DG, going to run a hugger. I bought a powdercoated swingarm with the brace already installed, so welding a mount for a fender wouldn't work too well.

fred: I was thinking of doing this too. I'll likley use the nutserts, as they do a good job of distributing the load and minimizing the parts strength. I don't think I'll have anything to worry about here though, 3-4 holes w/ nutserts, and I should be good to go.

With a hugger, brat kit and air seat, I think i'll have enough room. Since i'm running a front wheel out back, I'll be using a cut down (maybe full) front fender w/ the mounts removed. I might weld in a piece of flat bar to strengthen the fender up, but I know I'll have to brace it pretty well to keep the welds from cracking, much like the these pictures here.

Attachments

• IMG_0657.jpg
    IMG_0657.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0642.jpg
    IMG_0642.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_0649.jpg
    IMG_0649.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Not sure if this was answered but I cut mine out. It's 12 gauge at best and probably thinner. Def not thick enough to tap. You could drill and insert threaded bungs and weld those in no problem.

Back