Switch out roto-tiller handle bars to...

pumps

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Ok this is not on my XS. I picked up of Kaws, 2 KZ440LTDs . A 79 no title but all there and an 83 with a title but the right front got singed in a fire. So this evening I spent about an hour or two and got the 79 running. Rode it around the block and those GD 70-80s roto-tiller handlebars suck. You guys that have changed them out on your Specials what have you used? Oh and I bought both for $600.
83KZ440-1.jpg

79KZ440-1.jpg

Hi pumps,
I swap mine for the earlier standard bars. Like those on your '78.
The '83 dropped the kick start and fork lugs for dual front brakes?
And that rear sprocket looks huge.

Hi pumps,
I swap mine for the earlier standard bars. Like those on your '78.
The '83 dropped the kick start and fork lugs for dual front brakes?
And that rear sprocket looks huge.
Yeah no kicker on the 83 and no dual disc mount. I'm gonna have to replace the forks anyway so i might get an earlier set. Oh and the reason that rear sprocket looks huge is because it's a BELT drive. Pretty cool.
kawasaki-kz440-ltd-1-6564.jpg

On your XS , when you switched the bars, did you put on shorter cables etc?

No just have some extra. Hasn't been a problem for the clutch/throttle.
Bonus points the extra in the brake line holds a 32 oz soda resting on the turn signal.

I'd put a flat tracker bar on it myself, and check the torque on the front pulley nut. They are noted for loosening and letting the pulley wear out the countershaft. Don't get rid of the donor, you'll need it for parts. They are a little tough to come by. Had an EN454LTD. You think THOSE bars suck........

Back