Switching from Boyer to Pamco

Sinister81

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I recently decided to ditch the boyer setup on my 81 and go with a pamco hoping to run a cap instead of a battery for a cleaner more stripped down look. I'm currently running a Hugh's Pma. I purchased the pamco ultimate kit from mikesxs.com item number 14-0914. Will this setup work for converting from Boyer or is there more parts needed to complete this conversion? Seems like most people here just read and don't comment , if you comment I appreciate your input.

Last edited:
I am not a fan of the SPRAX because if it fails you are pushing bike home. With a small battery you can still run off the alternator with a jump. But everyone has there own style. I have been using BOYER since the 70's they were made for Triumph and BSA back then. I have also used Pamco on many builds and also had good luck except for the first one I burned it up in 10 mins of install being stupid. There use to be a box the same as the sprax and I used them and got stuck on the road more than once. I have installed the new ones on bikes per customer but also told them to carry a spare. High voltage from the PMA will take that out fast so I would run a volt meter on bike to monitor . Not saying your is bad but there are many treads on here with spiked voltage with one. Its like everything when it works right its great when it don't you PUSH.
SPRAX will not work for starting with lights on also and you need a battery in line for first start. Its only a capacitor and holds voltage for a short time.

Thanks for the info , I'll keep that In mind. Am I missing something parts needed to run the pamco ? First time messing with these type of ignitions.

It did not come with the auto advance or advance rod. Are these needed to get it setup? Again sorry for the rookie questions just want to make sure I have what I need to get the job done.

Well i went onto MikesXS site to see which unit you have bought, (a link would have been the helpful thing to do when posting a part no asking for help ), and if you read the information about the unit you bought it has a, NOTE: in red about your model

Copied from MikesXS site.

Pamco Ultimate High Output - (1973-84 650's)

Kit Contains: 2pc. NGK BPR7EIX Iridium Spark Plugs,
Pamco Electronic Trigger Plate and rotor, 82Kv Cool run Ignition Coil,
Ignition coil mount bolts and standoff's, 5K NGK Spark Plug Caps
and XS Performance copper core Silicone Wires (20" each),
Ultimate Electronic Ignition Kit by Pamco, a proven reliable electronic trigger
system that replaces the stock XS650 breaker point type ignition. Works
with original advance assembly parts and is an easy set & forget install.

This Version is Pamco Petes Personal Choice!

Note: For some 1980-84 North American models see other kit versions which
include the advance parts needed that are normally absent on the 1980-84
models.
Provides increased reliability and serious (caution!) ignition spark to
82Kv.

This kit does not have the E-Advance, (that's why it isn't in the kit you received) or the Advance rod which you need to mount a Pamco unit on, with or without an E-Advance.

Awesome man thanks for making it sound like it was a completly dumb question. Since the bike was already switched from points to electronic ignition so I wasn't sure if some of that was already installed in order to run the current setup.

I read and i commented. As per your first question.

Unless i went and did a lot of research on Boyer Ignitions, (maybe some input or information from you would have helped), i have no idea how they are mounted.

I'm an old fart and still remember when people used to greet each other with a greeting. Same on the internet, as far as i am concerned, a greeting with some information, (helps those of us that do actually answer and not just read), means we have something to go on. There are a multitude of these XS/TX 650's from 17 different models covering 13 years and then there are cafe/bobber/choppers/ brats and every thing in between.

We are enthusiasts, not payed mechanics who have the bike at our fingertips, so in your best interest, and to get information across on a a forum, is to take pics with descriptions for questions or a detailed account of what you have and/or wanting to achieve with links for any information that is relevant so we don't have to spend time doing a google search

Last edited:
Thanks for your input previously. This whole thing has been a nightmare for me to figure out. I'm pretty sure that the boyer setup that was installed on the bike when I purchased it does have the advance rod which has the same part number as required on the pamco setup I purchased from mikesxs.com. I honestly figured some people on here would have run into the scenario I'm in now. Anyhow I appreciate the fact you too the time to research the part number that I didn't put a link for. And I'll get a little more precise about my questions from now on.

I found a bookmark on the Boyer Branson unit. It appears it doesn't use the old advance rod, (your 81 engine would not have had one in the first place), so you need that rod to install the Pamco.

The Advance rods that MikesXS sells have been known to be a hair longer that the originals and PamcoPete has a complete set up with a replacement rod to go with his Pamco and E-Advance.

here is a link to Petes Site, Center column bottom half is the set up you need.

May be just a easy to keep the parts you need from the kit you got from Mikes and buy the complete kit from Pete and sell the parts from Mikes Kit you don't need.

Back